High limb saw or cutting chain on a rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ogyver

Reaction score
I was wondering if a professional high limb saw- basically a cut chainsaw chain with ropes tied to each end was available. I bought the ones available online with 4' of chain and they were too cheap and broke the steel with the strain I put on them. I'm using it top top some tall trees. Once up there they either break or do the job. I've had two lodge in cuts and left them there. I thought a survivalist carbide chip cable saw about 4-6 foot long would do the trick but there's nothing out there I know of. These are alders and cedars that like to split and are leaning towards my house. I've felled the easy ones, hired the others out to be topped but the ones left are a problem. Any saws out there? Last option is heavy equipment.

Seymour Smith makes a pole prunner Which is a saw set with 5' wood extensions that snap together. You can get 30' or so from the ground. All the other stuff is someones 'gimmick' from what I've seen.

Why not an electric chainsaw on an extension pole? I have one of those and have found it quite useful. You just need to be careful and mindful of where the branch is going to fall, as well as where the saw is going to want to fall once it gets through the branch.

I hired a climber and he got the ones he thought were safe.

the saw on a pole is an idea I toyed with but some trees are 150' tall. I would have to cut 75' up the tree. The trees are splitters so topping is dangerous.

the saw on a pole is an idea I toyed with but some trees are 150' tall. I would have to cut 75' up the tree.

In that case, I retract my suggestion. Although I've broken this rule myself, those saws are meant to be used with two feet on the ground (or at least a very stable platform of some type).

the saw on a pole is an idea I toyed with but some trees are 150' tall. I would have to cut 75' up the tree. The trees are splitters so topping is dangerous.

You arn't going to cut any limb thats 75' up the tree, off the ground:dizzy: Hire a insured climber to get those for you, and you can sleep better knowing the job was done right/safe..

Det cord, maybe M80s

Hum, Det cord, but how many M80s bunched together could blow enough out of 12" timber to make it fall? I'm running to the res this week!

Silky

check out silky's pole prunners! saw some at the Gie expo and those boys went high up. seems like you could prune a whole tree from the ground.

Back