High Point, NC Tornado Cleanup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2FatGuys

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Monday, storms tore throuhg parts of NC doing some major damage (see link below):

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/winter/2010-03-29-tornadoes-north-carolina_N.htm

I know we are all in this business to make money, but occasionally, I get called in to do some "disaster recovery" work. I worked all day yesterday with crews of volunteers cleaning up in areas where home owners would not be in a position to hire tree services to do cleanup. The "tree vultures" were everywhere! I bet we saw a few dozen beat up pickup trucks circling neighborhoods with 3-4 people in the cab and beat up saws and ropes in the bed, looking to make quick money. There were some really professional crews hard at work. Most of the work is downed trees. There is some climbing work needed. There is not much room for bucket trucks yet in the neighborhoods where I worked.

If any of you guys have time / desire to help out, the local community and churches would love the assiatance. If you want to do some paying storm cleanup, the landscape is full of trucks already staged for the quick money.

There is a tree removal volunteer coordination point at Oakview Baptist in High Point.

Thanks for taking time to read and considering helping out...

The clean-up efforts in H-P, NC will be ongoing for a while. The estimate of damaged homes is well over 600 now. Any help offered by experienced tree removal personel would be greatly appreciated by the community.

Pardon the oneupmanship but, we had reported on the news this week that after an unseasonal hailstorm lasting just 90 minutes that some panelbeaters are so booked out you cannot get a panel straightened or resprayed for 2 years!!!!!!!!

The "tree vultures" were everywhere! I bet we saw a few dozen beat up pickup trucks circling neighborhoods with 3-4 people in the cab and beat up saws and ropes in the bed, looking to make quick money.
ahh man......you busted me.........lol..but really, they're just trying to make a living also..

I thought about coming over but I'm just to booked right now with high maintenance clients on other stuff to pull away...

Last edited:
Man all this is news to me, although i rarely ever watch the acutal News on tv because its 98% junk.. Good for you Fatguys for helping out... i took a second part time job because Tree work was so slow, so i dont have much time too spare right now or i would drive over..
JT

Last edited:
Man all this is news to me, although i rarely ever watch the acutal News on tv because its 98% junk.. Good for you RF for helping out... i took a second part time job because Tree work was so slow, so i dont have much time too spare right now or i would drive over..
JT
I haven't been over there, seems they have enough volunteers so far, they said tonight that they didn't know where to put them all..

Thanks to western NC taking the brunt, it was pretty slowed down by the time it hit Raleigh.

Which is only fair, since we get the hurricanes first...

Back