High Power Self Propelled

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigstumps

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I currently do most of my stumps with a high power tow behind - Vermeer 672 and have a small Rayco 1625 I only use when I have to. I have been avoiding the limited access stumps because my Rayco is soo slow on anything bigger than 15".

Thinking of a more powerful self propelled machine. What do you love and why??

Bigstumps ,when you can take time out from your prostitution business ($150.00 bucks an hour) your already in SC go to Carltons Factory store. I bet they will even bring you out a demo. I moved from a 630A Vermeer to a 3500-4 carlton which is an older machine with a wisconsin engine on it,basicly the same engine as the 630. The carlton will do,, no lie,, 4 times the amount of grinding in the same time and its only 35 hp. You need to see thier other stuff. I will be selling the 3500-4 very soon as i have bought a 4400-4 with a diesel . I dont know if the machines i have will outgrind what you have but Carlton makes machines that will and they over build everything I love thier stuff. BTW the grinders I have are self propelled.

Carlton 7015 with wireless remote and sandvik wheel. Should grind as quick as your tow behind, but you can get it through a 36in gate. You might keep your rayco though, kinda a pain to take off the rear duals for a little stump.

grinding speed

Bigstumps said:
I currently do most of my stumps with a high power tow behind - Vermeer 672 and have a small Rayco 1625 I only use when I have to. I have been avoiding the limited access stumps because my Rayco is soo slow on anything bigger than 15".

Thinking of a more powerful self propelled machine. What do you love and why??

What everybody forgets when comparing self-prop. vs. a tow behind is the time saved NOT getting in and out of your truck repositioning on the next stump. dodging tree,rocks, and limbs. i just finished a job with 35 stumps scattered over an acre. With a self-prop.its easy to zip from one to another. a real time saver.I use a Carlton 4400-4 and it is very efficient. There have been times i wish i had a huge tow behind 75hp. or up whenever i grind a very large stump or blowover after a storm but thats maybe 10% of my work....Just my 2cents.

I run a Vermeer SC60TX with the Sandvic wheel. It can get through a 36" gate but it's real tight. Multiple stumps make the machine shine. My best job meaning time wise and profit was a 125 Elm stumps 10" - 15" diameter. One hour 45 minutes. All stumps were in a straight line spaced approx 3-5feet apart. It's sure nice to see that much get done in a short time.

B-Edwards said:
Bigstumps ,when you can take time out from your prostitution business ($150.00 bucks an hour) your already in SC go to Carltons Factory store. I bet they will even bring you out a demo. I moved from a 630A Vermeer to a 3500-4 carlton which is an older machine with a wisconsin engine on it,basicly the same engine as the 630. The carlton will do,, no lie,, 4 times the amount of grinding in the same time and its only 35 hp. You need to see thier other stuff. I will be selling the 3500-4 very soon as i have bought a 4400-4 with a diesel . I dont know if the machines i have will outgrind what you have but Carlton makes machines that will and they over build everything I love thier stuff. BTW the grinders I have are self propelled.

big stumps,, you get $150/ hr in the palmetto state??? what part, going to goose creek next week... i don't have any problems with my 352,,, does what it has to do..

juststumps said:
big stumps,, you get $150/ hr in the palmetto state??? what part, going to goose creek next week... i don't have any problems with my 352,,, does what it has to do..

Don't want to give away my honey hole, I'm right down the road from there. I rarely work in Goose Creek but there are a lot of big homes, big money, big trees there. It is growing like mad!!!

What brings you down??

TreeCo said:
I use a Rayco 1672 tow behind equipped with the Rayco Supertooth. It's got 75 horsepower and holds a lot of chips under its hood. It's quick to hook up and an easy towing machine and is great when you have really big stumps to grind that are accessible. I bought it used with under 400 hours for under ten grand a few years ago. There are some types of job where this stumper blows away my Carlton 4400

I also have a Carlton 4400 radio controlled, self propelled with a 58 horsepower engine. This stumper is a great performer and on some types of jobs blows away the Rayco 1672. I paid about $26k for this stumper new not counting it's trailer.

I have the same thing with my Vermeer Tow Behind but need to look at the 4400 for self propelled. My current self propelled is way too slow, to the point I hate using it.

Bigstumps said:
Don't want to give away my honey hole, I'm right down the road from there. I rarely work in Goose Creek but there are a lot of big homes, big money, big trees there. It is growing like mad!!!

What brings you down??

big,,, XMAS,,, family moved down in 88.... ma pa sh$% head little bro..other bro in usaf ,, got there in 90,,, sis and hub and kids got there in 93....i,m the last hold out up north....they want all want me to head south... that kind of dough,, i might have to come down and see if i can put some of my yankee charm to use!!!!! LOL your right,,, place is growing like wild!!!!! money to be made....traffic on rt 52, is almost as bad, as it is up here!!!!! lots changed in 18 yrs....

Last edited:
Back