High production

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to bid on a rather large cut that would be pretty easy access, but the issue could be that it would go to 130 cords... The problem is that there is problem with big game and elk calving are protection from Dec 1 to June 30. Uggh.

The question is that could I (with a little help) manage to drop/block/load etc 130 something cords of wood in 5 actual months on the cut! Works out to about 1 cord a day, everyday.

We were thinking that if there was a skidder and loader involved... yea. but a couple of trucks and some saws... only maybe if we worked really, really hard.

Thoughts?

Don't say what elevation/terrain/density, but good truck and good saws steady pace yes.
Sparse trees, small dbh, snow, long round trip can make it a stretch.

wood if you could

I have the opportunity to bid on a rather large cut that would be pretty easy access, but the issue could be that it would go to 130 cords... The problem is that there is problem with big game and elk calving are protection from Dec 1 to June 30. Uggh.

The question is that could I (with a little help) manage to drop/block/load etc 130 something cords of wood in 5 actual months on the cut! Works out to about 1 cord a day, everyday.

We were thinking that if there was a skidder and loader involved... yea. but a couple of trucks and some saws... only maybe if we worked really, really hard.

Thoughts?

The question is whether you have a clearcut stand that
you can bid on more than anything.

The second question is what the diameter average
diameter is of the cut.

For the 130 cord+- of cord wood could justify the
use of a Chomper and a firewood conveyor.

Using a 12 inch length would provide 520 face cords
of cord wood.

If you use a chomper to split and shear the logs
you can shear and split them at 12 inch lengths which
will process the log in the fastest time per log.

A twelve inch sheared length will dry much faster as well.

A lot it will depend on how much limbing you have
to do to finish the logs before you process them.

If you go to the Chomper home page you can down load an
owners list and I believe there are a few owners of the Chomper firewood
processor in Colorado or close by-I have uploaded the list here for you.

more information

It is against a hillside. 50 to 100 ft elevation change. blocks/poles could be tumbled down easily. Bottom of cut I could get a car into. access is good, and it is almost a clear cut. very few trees to save.
76 ccf is 9.3 dbh
21 ccf is 6.1 dbh
There is a lot of smaller stuff as well, and some larger stuff involved as well. It is mistletoe infested lodgepole pine.
Limbing would go pretty well for the most part.

My FS contact says that it would go to 130 cords if turned into firewood.

I just talked to a buddy of mine, and we are thinking that a skid loader would be really nice, and we already have a couple of large trailers around.

I am starting to see a plan come together.

Thankfully I probably would not get the bid unless I bid it pretty high.

comments? Thoughts?
Am I crazy??

If it was me I would just cut to length of trailers be it 16ft or 20ft whatever you have and haul trailer loads to your yard and worry about make it firewood later if you where on a deadline. It would take you a week or two to cut and haul 130 cords not 5 months but I have no idea what equipment you have.

If it was me I would just cut to length of trailers be it 16ft or 20ft whatever you have and haul trailer loads to your yard and worry about make it firewood later if you where on a deadline. It would take you a week or two to cut and haul 130 cords not 5 months but I have no idea what equipment you have.

These are my thoughts as well. If you have a place to yard the logs, it is better to get the job done ASAP and do the cutting and splitting at a more leisurely pace.

97 ccf total is around 10 lds. thats about 160 full cords. Where is your sale and where are you located?

If it were me I would try and find someone to bid with that wanted the saw logs. This way you would not have as much to get and could likely get the lower grade stuff very very cheap.

Back