hired my first Guatamalans yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treeinnovator

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hired my first Guatamalans yesterday. WOW am i impressed !!!
these guys are like renting a bunch of mini-loaders. they work like robot ants. hardly any breaks, no whining, no complaining, willing to work for 12 hours straight, and will lift ANYTHING on their shoulders.

I will NEVER EVER hire another white male again. I'm white and i know how we all think and work. we don't hold a candle to their guatamalan work ethic. you truly get double the work out of them for the same pay rate.

Last edited:
TI,
A lot of these types of posts seem to be dissing one person or another in the wages department. Not sure I understand the purpose of this thread.

I'm trying very hard not to be critical, just looking for the reasoning behind your posts

How do you communicate with them?

they speak some english. mostly no communication is needed. they've been doing landscape and tree work for years. all i did was point to the 8 palm removals and then pointed to the truck/chipper. they knew what to do.

these guys started loading 4ft and 5ft logs on their shoulders and carrying them from the backyard to the front. no other white guy ever did that. my previous workers always asked to cut them smaller and used a dolly. these guys are machines.

TI,
A lot of these types of posts seem to be dissing one person or another in the wages department. Not sure I understand the purpose of this thread.

I'm trying very hard not to be critical, just looking for the reasoning behind your posts

it's dissing myself as well then.
we always hear rumors about different types of workers... mexicans, whites, blacks, etc. this is not a racial thread. it's a thread commending the strong work ethics of the Guatamalan people. i have tremendous respect for them after hiring them and seeing them in action.

I am not certain how serious this thread is but all the Guatemalans I have ever worked with have been excellent workers and VERY polite. I don't hire undocumented workers and I don't recommend it. People want to blame our problems on illegal aliens but most I have met are hard working family oriented people with impeccable work ethics.

they speak some english. mostly no communication is needed. they've been doing landscape and tree work for years. all i did was point to the 8 palm removals and then pointed to the truck/chipper. they knew what to do.

these guys started loading 4ft and 5ft logs on their shoulders and carrying them from the backyard to the front. no other white guy ever did that. my previous workers always asked to cut them smaller and used a dolly. these guys are machines.

So no safety briefing that they could understand, or any other instructions other than you pointing? Boy I would like to see the OSH people go wild should you ever have a situation where they decide to visit.

What is so wrong with cutting wood into manageable pieces and using a dolly? You have confirmed in my mind that you are a troll. And if you really do exist, a slavedriver.

So no safety briefing that they could understand, or any other instructions other than you pointing? Boy I would like to see the OSH people go wild should you ever have a situation where they decide to visit.

What is so wrong with cutting wood into manageable pieces and using a dolly? You have confirmed in my mind that you are a troll. And if you really do exist, a slavedriver.

they are doing groundwork and have done this work for years.

cutting wood takes twice the time...to cut twice and drag twice the same log. these guys just take it all with no problems.

i'm not a slavedriver. i was so impressed with what they did i gave them more money than i ever paid my previous workers. i truly felt like they are comparable to using a mini-loader.

best part is; they NEVER once used their cell phones while working. only used the phones during lunch. my other workers will get a call from their girlfriends and literally stop what they are doing and use it as an excuse to take a 15 minute break. i wouldn't care except the girlfriends call every half hour.

4 and 5 ft palm logs, I hope you have en endless supply for when their backs give out.:popcorn:
Have you got them on health insurance to cover the physio for strains? Workman's comp for ruptured disks?
Or do you expect them to pay for their own medical treatment out of those 'higher' wages you're paying them!

4 and 5 ft palm logs, I hope you have en endless supply for when their backs give out.:popcorn:
Have you got them on health insurance to cover the physio for strains? Workman's comp for ruptured disks?
Or do you expect them to pay for their own medical treatment out of those 'higher' wages you're paying them!

endless supply? heck yeah Bermie. just look at what landed on Miami Beach this morning... 50 workers ready for me to pick them up tomorrow (with a smile on their face and no cell phones).
here's the news article from today:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...bans,0,4407400.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

That is Great, I am really happy for you TI. Yeah those lil bastards work like crazy. When I save up enough Marlboro miles I am gonna order myself a set.:ices_rofl:

Okay let the whining continue

Oh and before you attack me. You must realize that is thread is prolly just another attempt to get everyone riled up. Look who started it

I do have to say that Guatemalans I have worked with were hard worker , easy to get along with , no long breaks , most spoke English and carried some of the most horrible smelling lunches every.

Latest posts

Back