hired my first Guatamalans yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let those who have never worked for cash throw the first stone.

I cannot say I approve of people who hire cash only daylabor, but If I complained I would be hypocritical, having been such when I got out of the USMC, and between jobs after that. Once I was able to demonstrate climbing skills I could find a job anywhere.

Let those who have never worked for cash throw the first stone.

I cannot say I approve of people who hire cash only daylabor, but If I complained I would be hypocritical, having been such when I got out of the USMC, and between jobs after that. Once I was able to demonstrate climbing skills I could find a job anywhere.

thanks JPS
well said. i don't know ANYONE in the landscaping industry who hasn't once picked up an extra hand when slammed with work or if their regular guy calls in sick. it's part of this industry. the whole reason i hired them to begin with is that two of my workers didn't show up that morning.

Guats

I work with a 59 year old guatemalen, and he is one of the hardest working guys I have ever worked with. Dont get me wrong, he is legal and speaks english, but has a incredible work ethic. He told me he worked yesterday, on July 4th. I waspretty impressed. At the same time, I dont think the ethinicity of the people has anything to do witht heir work ethic. Its just like us crackaz, some have good work ethic, some dont. It is what it is..

I dont think the ethinicity of the people has anything to do witht heir work ethic. Its just like us crackaz, some have good work ethic, some dont. It is what it is..

Exactly, I worked on the 4th too.....so what! I cant stand people who spend more time trying to get out of work than they do working, many whom I've known are white. But it doesnt matter your ethnicity, I've found hard workers and lazy-asses in every color and size. Foreign workers bust their ass so much because they come from such under-priviledged places and havent had all the things we take for granted. That and if you get them through a program and they get fired they go bye-bye.

I do believe this guys are an upgrade from the guys you convinced to climb trees instead of flip burgers.

Exactly, I worked on the 4th too.....so what! I cant stand people who spend more time trying to get out of work than they do working, many whom I've known are white. .

my (white) workers demanded having the 4th of July off + the day after. they said they needed the extra day to recoup from hang overs. this is the BS you get with them.

the Guatemalans kept asking me if i could hire them 6 days a week regardless of holidays.

hey man, nothing wrong with the guats. just dont let them run your rope in hairy situations. thats all.

gotta have the communication with your groundguy and if he dont understand what you are saying no matter how loud you are yelling it wont matter.

lol.

just out of curiousity do you have them stand under the butts when you drop them so you dont put ruts in the lawn?

oldirty

What about a FOREIGNER working on the 4th impresses you? What do they care about OUR independance day?

What about a FOREIGNER working on the 4th impresses you? What do they care about OUR independance day?

hey my regular workers could care less about our forefathers. they were just using the 4th as an excuse to party on a weekday. same difference.

well, it's 11am. time to go get lunch for the guys. they are having a 2 for $2 special on hotdogs at the gas station's convenience store this week. i'll hook them up with a 69 cent gallon of water and they'll be set.

Last edited:
Troll alert!

two of my workers didn't show up that morning.

Most of us know that if your listen close enough, or long enough we can learn everything we want to.

Whats the chance that most of us are holding the same opinion that the two 'white-guys' that walked have?

One of the best employee - employer questions to ask is why there hiring, or what happened to the last guy(s)

Just my opinion, reading into other post, this guy has to jeopardize safety with burger flippers and illegals.

Troll alert!

Most of us know that if your listen close enough, or long enough we can learn everything we want to.

Whats the chance that most of us are holding the same opinion that the two 'white-guys' that walked have?

One of the best employee - employer questions to ask is why there hiring, or what happened to the last guy(s)

Just my opinion, reading into other post, this guy has to jeopardize safety with burger flippers and illegals.

My thoughts too......He's not nearly qualified to operate or employ, and every single qualified applicant he finds will recognize this within a day. So if he wants to operate, he is forced to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

It's an obvious deficency in his personality that he likes to come here and brag about all his "overhead saving tips" and "expense cutting tactics". Interestingly enough, bragging about hiring illegals, on the 4th of July no less, is discussion of illegal activities. Does that fall under #4 of the guidelines?

I've been ignoring his posts, as he isn't worth the time and effort, and replying to him only fuels his trollish nature.

If the people hiring illegals got shipped back with the illegals when they were caught, there would be a lot less hiring of illegals. I wonder if Immigration and Naturalization would be interested in his "operation"?

If the people hiring illegals got shipped back with the illegals when they were caught, there would be a lot less hiring of illegals. I wonder if Immigration and Naturalization would be interested in his "operation"?

if they got shipped back with them, 99% of the tree and lawn company owners would be relocated to Central America. also your produce and food ingrediants (like sugar) would skyrocket in price. that's why our government is legalizing these workers by the millions.

they were hung over. that's the problem with the 20 something kids these days. they're not motivated by anything these days because they have a sense of entitlement and it's much easier to ask mom and dad for money than to work for it.

50 years from now it will be the Central and South Americans that will control the wealth in the USA. just like our ancestors came over from Europe with nothing and worked in the mills.

(snip)

(SNIP)

Secondly, I am a 22 year old white american boy, with a college education that I paid for myself, with a pesticide license and arborist license. Also working towards my CDL. I paid for my truck, my apt. my insurance, cloithes, yada yada yada. My parents gave me some things, but its not jus tlike a gimme. I worked for everything I got. Dont make such broad generalizations, its all about how you are raised and the work ethic your parents are portraying to you. Obvsiouly you have gotten some idiots who think they deserver somerthing for nothing. THats not everyone, its your own fault for not firing them or recognizing that before you hired them... Oh and another thing,
if your guys cant handle their drinking, then get rid of them... Obvsiouly a lot of people drink on fourth of july, but if they have any sort of respect fore their job, they will learn to control themselves bewcause they have to work the next day. I work with 60 something guys everyday, and not one was missing on the day after july 4th. Maybe its the boss, not the guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with thil I don't have quite the stuff he has I am a twenty something kid. I have a degree in welding and metals fabrication and do tree work as well as being a full time military member. Both me and my partner are in our twenties and are full time GIs and we have great work ethic. I agree it is all how you were brought up. Thanks thil for sticking up for the rest of us doing right.
Jared

Thillmaine and Magnum 783

I am 56 years old and I am very proud of you both as I am sure your fathers are also. However you must know that your lives are exemplary and not ordinary. You are not the "average" boy on the block and have worked hard not to be. My hat is off to you.
The comment made by Treeinnovator was what is commonly known as a generality. It is not intended to apply equally to ALL young men in their twenties. It was a general consensus of young men in America today and I totally agree with it. Everywhere I look today I see young men in that age group that can't even properly dress themselves evidenced by their pants hanging off their asses. Their main mode of transportation is a skateboard or a stolen bicycle. They wouldn't be interested in a good job if one was offered, just as well because they would be unable to do it. This is the norm accross the country. This is the contrast between you guys and the rest of them, I praise you both for breaking from the norm and following/ pursuing the better road.
You were totally out of line for calling a total stranger an "ignorant, uneducated fool" simply because he doesn't see you in Boston and Goldsboro from where he is. You are NOT representative of your age group! You are different. Now in the future when you hear disparaging remarks about your age group consider it a compliment and not a personal attack on your character.
Art

I am 56 years old and I am very proud of you both as I am sure your fathers are also. However you must know that your lives are exemplary and not ordinary. You are not the "average" boy on the block and have worked hard not to be. My hat is off to you.
The comment made by Treeinnovator was what is commonly known as a generality. It is not intended to apply equally to ALL young men in their twenties. It was a general consensus of young men in America today and I totally agree with it. Everywhere I look today I see young men in that age group that can't even properly dress themselves evidenced by their pants hanging off their asses. Their main mode of transportation is a skateboard or a stolen bicycle. They wouldn't be interested in a good job if one was offered, just as well because they would be unable to do it. This is the norm accross the country. This is the contrast between you guys and the rest of them, I praise you both for breaking from the norm and following/ pursuing the better road.
You were totally out of line for calling a total stranger an "ignorant, uneducated fool" simply because he doesn't see you in Boston and Goldsboro from where he is. You are NOT representative of your age group! You are different. Now in the future when you hear disparaging remarks about your age group consider it a compliment and not a personal attack on your character.
Art

well said.
and don't forget the whole "my cellphone is ringing again, time for another 15 minute break"

if it's true, those 2 guys are truly different and should take it as a compliment. however, the trend i see is that most of my white workers "think" they are hard workers. they really honestly do and are totally convinced in their heads that they are working their butts off. it's not until they work alongside an immigrant do you see the huge difference...and it's not even comparable in any way.

Last edited:
Back