His & Hers "Dead Saw" Rebuild - the really battered 066 LIVES AGAIN

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounty Hunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The 066 rebuild is finally done…my first…and it was quite an interesting process. I made a few wrong turns and there was a few bumps in the road…like the time I tore half the fins off the REPLACEMENT flywheel…but I will say there’s nothing like taking everything apart, looking at each part in your hands, seeing how it works and how it goes together, it’s a priceless learning experience.

The Cylinder and piston turned out to be a nightmare…I sure didn’t see that one coming. We purchased a NWP “big Bore” kit for 066 / 660 from Bailey’s which uses a 56mm piston over the stock 54mm…adds almost 10cc’s.

After I got the whole saw together I tried to start it…and it refused to start. I checked everything, we had spark, we had fuel…what could be wrong? So I switched the carb with the one off a newer 660…still nothing. I switched the coil and electrical harness…still nothing, not even a burble. Dang! What am I missing! Two days worth of trying to figure this out left me grumpy.

Then Mrs. Bounty Hunter says: “Why don’t you try changing the piston and cylinder?”

“Oh it can’t be that!” I exclaim…”There’s no way anything is wrong. I double and triple checked everything when I put it together. I know the rings are correctly placed…they have the word “up” printed on them…The piston has an arrow to face it toward the muffler, and it all went together perfectly. I can feel it has compression, and it turns as it should. I just can’t be the jug and the slug.”

“But Bounty…” She says…”You have tried everything…what’s it going to hurt?”

Okay…I’ll humor her…

I still had the old cylinder, and a brand-new Meteor piston to go in it…I was planning to try some porting in the future, as CHEVYTOWN seems to be having a bunch of fun with it. I cleaned up the cylinder with 320 wet/dry paper, cross-hatching it as best as I could. It actually came out pretty good.
I popped it on, and trudged out to the front yard…as I had 50 times already…fully expecting to yank that starter cord and be disappointed yet again…

But instead, the first pull on full choke…BURBLE BURBLE BURBLE!

Two more pulls on half choke…VVVVVVAAAARRROOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He started right up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. Bounty Hunter…Bless yer heart…How did she know? That Magical “women’s intuition” thing I guess…

The 066 tuned up great, albeit rich, since we were running 35:1 Stihl Ultra for break-in. A little smoke, but the sound was perfect. I had modded the muffler, and it was singing a sweet song of power, and revved up real quick and torqued nice in my hands.

Bailey’s didn’t know what could be wrong, but they sent me a UPS Return Label…Let their techs check it out. It still might be my fault…I am really scratching my head over that one…

But, he’s all done now, and I like the ¾ wrap handle and I bought an extended clutch cover and chip flap, which helps keep chips outta your face when the saw is inverted for a face cut. Thing is, he’s more a 660 now than 066…I replaced the busted rear handle, missing engine cover and air filter cover, all the switch parts were different and had to get 660 parts…so maybe he’s an 060? Or a 666? Wait…scratch that last one…

His previous owner surely didn’t care about him…He probably belonged to a tree service company where no one was really responsible for the saw’s care. There was a lot of physical abuse, it was really busted up. Even the inner dawg had been broken out of the case boss and the lower mounting hole was so wallered out that it took a 5/16” Helicoil to fix it. I made a little steel bracket to hold the upper dawg bolt…barely clearing the muffler housing…Can you see it?

So after a lot of work and a bit of money, we are ready to go cut some wood. Was it all worth it? You Bet!

Here’s the pics…

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Good to see you got yours running now too.

Yeah, yer right Brother...Linda's 440 has been running for a couple weeks now...we have been using it on almost all our work. We had a tall pine tree removal and it starting to break-in nice now! The 440 is hard to beat for a lotta power in a compact package, so when you upgrade a 460 p&c you have a little powerhouse.

But I still like this 066 I rebuilt...This tough old beast should have tons of torque...and i like the fact he has character. If saws could tell a story, this one could write a book...:cheers:

Yeah, yer right Brother...Linda's 440 has been running for a couple weeks now...we have been using it on almost all our work. We had a tall pine tree removal and it starting to break-in nice now! The 440 is hard to beat for a lotta power in a compact package, so when you upgrade a 460 p&c you have a little powerhouse.

But I still like this 066 I rebuilt...This tough old beast should have tons of torque...and i like the fact he has character. If saws could tell a story, this one could write a book...:cheers:

I dont know with that short bar that 440 may just put a spanken on the old boy..lol

Bounty, thanks for showing what a little hard work and dedication will bring! I too have just purchased an 066 and you have provided inspiration for when I may need to rebuild in the future.:clap:

I is I is!

I still had the old cylinder, and a brand-new Meteor piston to go in it…I was planning to try some porting in the future, as CHEVYTOWN seems to be having a bunch of fun with it. I cleaned up the cylinder with 320 wet/dry paper, cross-hatching it as best as I could. It actually came out pretty good.
I popped it on, and trudged out to the front yard…as I had 50 times already…fully expecting to yank that starter cord and be disappointed yet again…

attachment.php

Bounty, once you go ported and piped, there's no turning back homes:cheers:

Olyeller's next:clap: Make a pipe for that 440 so you could saw that Oak at your ranch quicklike and in style too homeboy:chainsaw:

I always dug the way that wrap looks on the 660. Makes it look TRICK™

Real nice looking rebuild! Just curious, all new plastic? Is there any way plastic can be reconditioned? Rubbing compound or a polish?

Thats a sweet looking 066.
Glad everything came together
and all is well. You sure had some
hurdles to jump. I also can't imagine
why the BB kit would not start but
you never know with aftermarket stuff.
Congrats on a nice job.

Lee

BH, They won't let me rep ya.... gotta spread it around a bit. Very nice job on the recondition. Do you know how much you have in it altogether? Is there a thread on this rebuild that I missed?

That p/c thing is a real puzzler.

That is a beautiful table. I love that 3D look. There is a lot of that in paint in the Vatican.

JR

BH, They won't let me rep ya.... gotta spread it around a bit. Very nice job on the recondition. Do you know how much you have in it altogether? Is there a thread on this rebuild that I missed?

That p/c thing is a real puzzler.

That is a beautiful table. I love that 3D look. There is a lot of that in paint in the Vatican.

JR

Hey JR,
The whole rebuild cost $448.00...All-in, including the $100.00 for the dead 066. That doesn't count the $129.00 for the "Big Bore" kit I sent back to Bailey's, but does include the $49.00 Meteor piston. Seals and bearings are fairly cheap, but the special tools needed to take the crank bearings out, split the cases, and pull the flywheel are not...so with "Hillbilly Biker Engineering" we fabricated all the needed tools to keep cost down.

The table I built...so I put saws on it if I want too...

I was installing an Oak bannister at a custom home, and had 4 left-over newel posts, some strips of Oak...it got me thinking...
The table pattern is 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" Oak, Maple, and Hawiaian Koa miter cut at 30 degrees...when you fit them together they can make that cool 3-D pattern. :cheers:

Wow!!! you made that table? That is some great craftsmanship. I am very impressed. I have always loved that 3D effect, and it is very well done. Between the 660 and the table you join the elite class found at the top of the heap on this or for that matter any other site. JR

Back