Historic CAD? (gulp!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
After looking at all the threads on big old saws, I got to thinking that maybe a big old monster might be fun to have and to use occasionally......though I need another saw like I need retinitis pigmentosa and beri-beri.....

Would you folks be willing to share your opinions on the best old monster saw to have, with respect to awesome power, and some semblance of usability, as in having AV and being reliable and durable, etc.? I probably would stop somewhere short of acquiring a 1951 Stihl 300 cc 2 man rig in "Panzer Grey,"..........:)

Dolmar CT, 076AV, Mac 125,............................?

It may seem like everyone's going for them - but I'd still commit unspeakable acts to get my hands on an 090... the big daddy.

Although, I reckon if you ever saw a Jonsereds 111S that'd be a very good one too... I have an 076 (an AS induced CAD symptom) and feel no where near satisfied!

Last edited:
Old saws are great fun, I have several old Homelites and get a real kick out of them!

Stihl 1106 series: 070, 090, Contra, Contra-S. Why?

1) They are bombproof and slow revving, so they last.

2) They make an incredible noise.

3) You can still get most of parts.

4) The only special tool you need is a $19 flywheel puller.

5) Loads of grunt.

6) You can get them with AV

7) They look bad-ass :)

See my other thread - I'm trying to make a Contra-S (Contra version of the 090) Got the cylinder.....!

5) Loads of grunt.

See my other thread - I'm trying to make a Contra-S (Contra version of the 090) Got the cylinder.....!

take his advice...

5) Loads of grunt.

They do look pretty bad a$$! :clap:

IM001844.jpg

I'll raise you a pair: :clap: :clap:

attachment.php

(OK, I'll admit to severe bar envy looking at your pic!)

Hey, I have some unrestored ones as well!

Like these:

attachment.php

or this:

attachment.php

I've even got one in a box!

attachment.php

Do you reckon we've sent Harry over the edge yet?! :) :)

Hey, I have some unrestored ones as well!

Like these:

or this:

I've even got one in a box!

Do you reckon we've sent Harry over the edge yet?! :) :)

yeah very funny. Sounds like you have a few to spare then hu?? Well, there is one on ebay right now... I do need to do a proper torque comparisen between the 076 and 070 you see!

Well, there is one on ebay right now...

There is?

*shuffles off to eBay*

There is actually some good stuff on eBay right now....another 076 for you (sounds like a lean seize) and something altogether more interesting...

There is?

*shuffles off to eBay*

There is actually some good stuff on eBay right now....another 076 for you (sounds like a lean seize) and something altogether more interesting...

interesting!? I'm trauling now... Yeah the 076 looks real clean, damn nice in fact! There's also an 07? which I think is an 051 due to the position of the decomp valve if I'm looking at the photo right. Hang on, back to ebay

rxe, you wouldn't happen to have an 070/090 clutch side cover you'd be willing to sell me would ya?

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't have a spare - in fact I'm looking for a replacement for the "saw in a box" - there is a big chunk taken out of the back of that one on the left of the picture.

You got it! Now that would be a historic project....

Back