Hitch on the front of your truck for stump grinding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imalogger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if anyone else has done this, adding a hitch to the front of the pickup for moving the grinder around the jobsite? I knew I had a job coming up with a lot of stumps that required a lot of repositioning so I bolted a hitch on my front bumper. I'll have to say, I'm really impressed at how well it worked, I found it a lot easier pushing the grinder into position. Not sure I'd want the front of a new truck exposed to grinder debris but on my old truck I'm not that concerned about it.
4una4u4e.jpg

I bought a Hidden Hitch for my 91 Ford F-250 pick-up. best thing I ever done. Had a large job about 60 stumps to do with my 2465A Vermeer with 80 HP Deutz Engine. Wife drove truck and could get to stumps very easy. I would watch machine so It could be positioned already to grind. Didn't notice any damage to truck. Sure is a lot easier to drive stumper in than back in. Wish I had done it years ago when I started grinding stumps in 1963.

Had several tractors with a hitch up front (mostly welded to the bumper/grille guard). Great for putting a hay wagon back into a shed.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has done this, adding a hitch to the front of the pickup for moving the grinder around the jobsite? I knew I had a job coming up with a lot of stumps that required a lot of repositioning so I bolted a hitch on my front bumper. I'll have to say, I'm really impressed at how well it worked, I found it a lot easier pushing the grinder into position. Not sure I'd want the front of a new truck exposed to grinder debris but on my old truck I'm not that concerned about it.
4una4u4e.jpg
Not trying to be rude or anything,but WTH is that on the front of your truck????

It's one of a kind, that's for sure. It a home made stump grinder I put together. Last year I posted about the home made stump grinder for the bobcat ( I'm not sure how to provide a link to it) but I decided to build a trailer for the grinder so I don't need to use the bobcat. I can pull 3 pins and un-couple 2 hoses and hook it back up to the bobcat if I want. The bobcat works well if I have gnarly terrain I need to cover or a lot of repositioning but a lot of jobs I've done may have just a few stumps or it's a real pain getting the 20 foot gooseneck trailer turned around in some ppls yards, plus the tri axel trailer is pretty hard on paved driveways in the hot summer. This pulls a lot easier than a 2 ton bobcat and a 3 ton trailer. Since it's not dot approved, has no lights and has an old farm wagon axel, I used my car dolly to haul it. Even so the whole thing probably doesn't weigh too much over 1 ton. I put a separate engine on to run the hydraulics tilt, swing, and extendable hitch. Yeah I know it's ugly- I haven't had time to paint it yet...
pa2u7apu.jpg
u3a3a8yh.jpg
sety8y4y.jpg

Kudos. The only thing that looks gawky besides the paint is the madusa looking hydro lines but if it functions well,who cares,eh? That looks like getting it loaded on the dolly is a lot of fun ,I bet.

Yup..... we have one that fits into the minute mount on one of our pick ups. We don't use it a lot.... but it IS real handy for back yard / tight stuff.

Latest posts

Back