Hitchclimber setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RYNOMAGNUM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could help me out a little. I'm currently using trublue for my lifeline. I want to incorporate a hitchclimber into my setup. I am wanting to use a VT hitch.
Question #1 . Will my current rope work ok.
#2 . What would be the best eye to eye to use. Brand, diameter, and length.
Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The problem with trueblue is you cant splice it, I guess you could have any eye stitched in it. Technically you arent supposed to use a knot on the end of your climbline with the hitchclimber as it can disengage your hitch.

The problem with trueblue is you cant splice it, I guess you could have any eye stitched in it. Technically you arent supposed to use a knot on the end of your climbline with the hitchclimber as it can disengage your hitch.
I have a tight sewn eye on my my trueblue. I'm looking for the right eye to eye to work with my blue.
I probably weigh about 200 all geared .

I use arbormaster blue streak similar rope I'm pretty sure but I use a 30 inch 9mil RIT eye 2 eye.. personally I love it bit I also use the distle hitch not a vt

Life is like a box of chocolates.. goes good until it ***** on you with a coconut filled.

Idk if I tie it wrong or what but I can hardly ever get the vt to bite under weight . Can't move it with my hand but the moment I sit on it it slips. Honestly I can't see how I m doing it wrong but who knows

Life is like a box of chocolates.. goes good until it ***** on you with a coconut filled.

Idk if I tie it wrong or what but I can hardly ever get the vt to bite under weight . Can't move it with my hand but the moment I sit on it it slips. Honestly I can't see how I m doing it wrong but who knows

I'm up for ideas. Sounds like I should try the distle maybe.

Guess it don't matter but I use a basic pulley not a hitchclimber (30 bones cheaper) when I get home I will post a pic of it , I terminate the end directly to my harness with a short loop bowline (figure 8on tail obviously) then hitch cord and pulls to the same biner on the long tail. Botta bing botta boom hitch climber set up for under 30 bones (my pulley was a gift from my first foreman) other wise it'd be about 80

I'm up for ideas. Sounds like I should try the distle maybe.

That's just me my dude I know a few climbers around me and a lot of guys on here swear by the vt I just personally (kinda feel like an idiot) have trouble setting it properly. But the distle is far better than the taut line I learned on only 5 years ago maybe 6 still a noob to be honest

That's just me my dude I know a few climbers around me and a lot of guys on here swear by the vt I just personally (kinda feel like an idiot) have trouble setting it properly. But the distle is far better than the taut line I learned on only 5 years ago maybe 6 still a noob to be honest

Right on. I've heard the VT can be finicky and the different diameters of eye2eye and lifeline and such.
I'm currently old school with a blakes and split-tail. I did upgrade my blue to a sewn eye to help eliminate some clutter.

Right on. I've heard the VT can be finicky and the different diameters of eye2eye and lifeline and such.
I'm currently old school with a blakes and split-tail. I did upgrade my blue to a sewn eye to help eliminate some clutter.

I just used a double half hitch with a 3-4 foot tail for my blakes /tautline.. but I promise with an ascender you will love any hitch climber setup compared to a blakes. Personally I hated the hitch climber setup before I got an ascender. (Can't get the pull length for thrusting. But after I got put of my basic ways and tried new school, I swear there's no other way!!! I spend majority of my time on spikes( hate trimming, but not scared lol) so I rarely need to thrust or pull my self up bet I do do a few trims a year so spikes are useless

I just used a double half hitch with a 3-4 foot tail for my blakes /tautline.. but I promise with an ascender you will love any hitch climber setup compared to a blakes. Personally I hated the hitch climber setup before I got an ascender. (Can't get the pull length for thrusting. But after I got put of my basic ways and tried new school, I swear there's no other way!!! I spend majority of my time on spikes( hate trimming, but not scared lol) so I rarely need to thrust or pull my self up bet I do do a few trims a year so spikes are useless

I usually spend my time in spikes also.
Removals is what I like. Occasionally trim a few. Limb walking is the my only main gripe about my current setup.

I usually spend my time in spikes also.
Removals is what I like. Occasionally trim a few. Limb walking is the my only main gripe about my current setup.

I hear that I've came across a few tricky limb walks where a blakes was down right a pain in the rear the long bridge between harness and hitch is kind of a two headed snake but so is the compact setup of the hitch climber (to me). But with a Prusik on the term end and the pulley under the blakes I've impressed footlockers with the speed of ascent but it falls short walking limbs without an ascender I feel the compact setup falls short but with that it's awesome find the rythem and go

I use True Blue with hitchclimber in two scenarios. The grizzly spliced, and another TB which I use knotted. The knot can be awkward if it catches the VT, but with very little practice I know to push the rope away from the knot as I let go. Not a big deal. Just practice it low & slow at first.

TreeStuff offers a trial pack of various friction hitch cordages. http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=127&item=11163

I feel like the trial pack would be more appealing if it were eye to eyes but I'm sure treestuff would make that happen upon request

Get a good 24 strand climbline and make your trueblue into a tag line. That's all we use it for. Worst rope I've ever used; can't imagine climbing on it. All the hitch cords are going to work better on the smoother cover of a 24 strand.

10mm Ocean Polyester E2E at 28" length for the Distel Hitch. The Distel is a more compact hitch, a 30" cord is too long if you want a smooth release while tending slack.

DistelHitch.jpg

Latest posts

Back