Homelite 550 carb issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topgut

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Fellas,

I just aquired a Homelite 550 that needed quit abit of TLC. Well I got it to run with a few drops in the carb so I went from there. I changed the oil and fuel lines etc and that was not easy since someone put the wrong O ring inthe manual oiler. That was a pain in the butt figure out. Anyway, I put a Walbro SDC 69a carb on it I rebuilt and tried to run on a 450 that didn't work out. On the 550 though, it runs well but took quite abit of adjusting on the lo and hi jets. Seems like it needs lots of fuel to run loaded and will not idle well because of the extra fuel it requires to run. Any suggestions on adjusting the carb to make it better? I'm out of idle adjustment.

Have a nice day...........J

I'd agree that a vac/pressure test of the seals is a good idea. 550s have two roller bearings and I've ran across more than one case where the bearings had worn out which doesn't do much good for the seals either. May want to see if there's any noticable play on the crank while you're in there.

good luck,
Dan

checking for air leaks

Thanks fellas,

I will check it out further and post another reply how I make out.

I really think it is the carb though. I had similar issues when I tried to run it on a 450. When I switched back to the original carb on the 450 the saw ran great. We'll see.........J

Ran the 550

Well I ran the 550 yesterday due to blow downs. I cut a fairly large white pine. It seems to run very well but will still need some card adjustments. Has plenty of power and runs smooth. I like it but it needs a bucking spike. I know where I can get one.......Take care..........J

Latest posts

Back