Homelite 550 repairs...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdoggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Homelite 550 that is missing it's spark plug wire and will be needing a new chain and bar in the future, now my question is does anyone know how to replace the spark plug wire? Also how many chains could I get out of a 25Ft spool of 50 gauge chisel chain.

plug wire repair

Hi BD,

A homelite 550 really does not have a 'spark plug wire' like many traditional small engines. Instead, there is an electronic ignition module by the flywheel and then 2 wires running over to points of contact at the back of the saw under the rear handle. At the same place where those wires attach a transformer should be mounted connecting with 2 screws and making contact with the 2 previously mentioned wires and the end of the spark plug.

Follow this link and go to figure 2 and look at parts list items 4, 12-17, and 32
That may make better sense of what is missing.

http://www.chainsawr.com/partsDiagrams/Homelite 550.pdf

So you mean to tell me that there is no wire with a boot connecting to the spark plug:confused: ? Also the bar on the saw is a 24 inch and if at all possible it will be fitted with Carlton chains and bar.

So you mean to tell me that there is no wire with a boot connecting to the spark plug:confused: ? Also the bar on the saw is a 24 inch and if at all possible it will be fitted with Carlton chains and bar.

Yup, no plug wire.

Only picture I have..it's an 750 but 550 should be the same.....see 2nd pic down on right

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have a Homelite 550 that is missing it's spark plug wire and will be needing a new chain and bar in the future, now my question is does anyone know how to replace the spark plug wire? Also how many chains could I get out of a 25Ft spool of 50 gauge chisel chain.

25' spool of 3/8" chain is 410 drive links. 24" Windsor bar for a 550 uses an 81 drive link chain. Don't know about Carlton bars.

Check the other Homelite 550 thread that someone bumped; lots of info on Homelite ignition systems. The prices that I'm seeing are making me uneasy about digging into my Craftsman 4.5/Homelite 450.

Check the other Homelite 550 thread that someone bumped; lots of info on Homelite ignition systems. The prices that I'm seeing are making me uneasy about digging into my Craftsman 4.5/Homelite 450.

prices vary per saw and per part ignition parts are always little bit pricey but the other items are less pricey and also depends on the model ofthe saw and brand if i was the one setting prices instead of the factorys everything would be reasonable

Well my saw has been sitting down at the local homelite expert for two weeks now he has not found a module yet, so I am wondering if I can make a husky or other more common module work for my 550. If I must I will be ordering a OEM unit from the nice guy who answered the phone the other day :).

Well my saw has been sitting down at the local homelite expert for two weeks now he has not found a module yet, so I am wondering if I can make a husky or other more common module work for my 550. If I must I will be ordering a OEM unit from the nice guy who answered the phone the other day :).

is this your module ?

http://www.cmsmallengines.net/homelite-part-module-12669as-12669-as-nos-.html

local homelite expert for two weeks now he has not found a module yet,

Last edited:
550 pictures

Hey B.D. if you need pictures send me a PM. I have 2 550's and 2 450's. I might be able to send you in the right direction. If you give up and want to part with the saw I might be interested in taking it off your hands for a fix me up saw............John

Check with Calvin(lawnmowertech37) and see if he has what you need......

Hey B.D. if you need pictures send me a PM. I have 2 550's and 2 450's. I might be able to send you in the right direction. If you give up and want to part with the saw I might be interested in taking it off your hands for a fix me up saw............John

I need the saw due to it's size unless I can get another one as big as it, I will be ordering that part sometime soon but I am really hoping to find a ignition coil or another saw that I can barrow parts off of.

Back