Homelite C5 with no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkesler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up a C5 for a parts saw for my running C5, and as it actually seems to be in good trim I thought I would see about getting it to run. Saw has no spark. Tried with another plug, tried testing the spark with another plug, bypassed the on/off switch, and cleaned/gapped the points. Nothing.

Now I'm at a loss. What next?

Maybe check your flywheel air gap?

First, remove the spark plug and check for spark with your hand, just stick a screwdriver in the bood and check, it wont hurt you, permanently.

If you dont feel anything whatsoever, reclean your points, if theres still nothing you have a bad coil.

If you feel spark, but it wont fire the plug its most likely your condensor. The reason I say to get shocked is you can tell by the type of current coming out of the coil if the condensors bad.

If you feel one big hit and it fires a plug, everythings fine.:dizzy: But when the condensors bad, youll feel a series of jolts as the cond is shorted internally, and cant store the pulces from the mag till the points close, it just arcs across the points as soon as its made and is out of time and too weak to run the engine.

I like to keep this in mind because you can easily tell whats wrong with a non running poits ignition engine if your at a fleamarket or yard sale.:clap:

Maybe check your flywheel air gap?

First, remove the spark plug and check for spark with your hand, just stick a screwdriver in the bood and check, it wont hurt you, permanently.

If you dont feel anything whatsoever, reclean your points, if theres still nothing you have a bad coil.

Good stuff, thank you sir!

Flywheel air gap? Lost me with that one.

Checked for zap. Nothing. Recleaned points. Still nothing. Now to find a coil for a C5.

The plug wire is glued into the coil, how do I go about checking that?

Just check it over and make sure that the rubber insulation isn't worn. Sometimes vibration will wear the rubber down to the wire, and short it out.

I smoked it over when I bypassed the switch, and it is actually in suprisingly good shape. It may be a few years older than I am but it's in better shape, I'm afraid. :D

Kess, show me a pic of your coil, I may have something.

Will do when I get home. Found my parts list for the C5, and the numbers are:

55986-A coil
55987 condensor
A-58165 points

<edit> Just found a new one online. YOWZA!, it's 67 bucks. Maybe this thing needs to stay a parts saw.

Last edited:
Part #'s I have, But I have a pile-o-coils that I dont have boxes for and the number on the coil dosent equate to the P/n In the IPL.

Gotcha. Took the picture, but couldn't upload it since my home computer went on the fritz last night. :censored: Soon as I get that working I can get the picture posted.

Will do when I get home. Found my parts list for the C5, and the numbers are:

55986-A coil
55987 condensor
A-58165 points

<edit> Just found a new one online. YOWZA!, it's 67 bucks. Maybe this thing needs to stay a parts saw.
well i am quiet cause i am even though i do have all them parts im still remaining quiet

Last edited:
Kess, show me a pic of your coil, I may have something.

Ok, got my computer working. Here you go:

c5-coil01.jpg

c5-coil02.jpg

Swing and a miss.

Thank you for looking, though.

Looks like a opportunity for Calvin

Calvin? Is that lawnmowertech37? If I decide to revive the saw he's getting my business, as he has offered some help. I just have to decide if I want to spend ~80 bucks on a saw I really don't need, especially when I can buy another running C5 for about the same as it would cost to fix this one.

Latest posts

Back