Homelite fuel problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Homelite super xl automatic in relatively good condition. The fuel line was cracked and I replaced it. The saw runs great, but I'm getting a considerable amount of fuel in the carb box after each tank full is burned. Do I need an entire carb rebuild or is there another solution?

I enjoy using this saw just for something a little different, but I can't believe I cut ALL my firewood with the smaller version of this thing 30 years ago! New saws have come a long way.

Can you tell where the fuel is coming from? Is the line or the carb leaking?

:cheers:
Mike

Excellent Question. Have you tried cleaning it up, and then running it on a bench to see if you can spot a leak? There is always the unusual fuel reversal out of the intake, which is hard to spot while running.

No, I haven't tried to actually see the leak, and can't tell precisely where the leak is. I assumed it is too slow to actually see, since there is about an eyedropper full of gas in the carb box after each tankfull of fuel burned.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I guess I was hoping this is something someone has seen before in this model and have a quick diagnosis. Time for some serious tinkering.

No, I haven't tried to actually see the leak, and can't tell precisely where the leak is. I assumed it is too slow to actually see, since there is about an eyedropper full of gas in the carb box after each tankfull of fuel burned.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I guess I was hoping this is something someone has seen before in this model and have a quick diagnosis. Time for some serious tinkering.

Hopefully it's something as simply as a pinhole in a fuel line or an old gasket. pressure test the fule lines first. I always say, start easy and work you way up.

Back