homelite super xl clutch removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gramps homelite

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to the site and could use some help please.

Wrecked the clutch assembly trying to remove it from the end of the crank with a flywheel puller, obviously not how its done. What is the proper disassembly procedure. Related question; Where can I get a new one? This is for an old super xl automatic (blue) AO.

Second, has anyone had much success repairing stripped sparkplug threads? Helicoil? Is buying a new cylinder and rings a better way to go?

I'm not too sure on the homelite, but normally the clutch is threaded onto the crank. And it's usually left handed. If you do a search you will find info on different ways of removing them. For the spark plug, helicoils will work most of the time. Just be sure to remove ALL of the chips that are created. It is best to remove the cylinder to do it.

I prefer to shove the rope

Into the sparkplug hole. with piston close to the top. To ensure that it does not slip into a port, and the rising piston will not cut part of it off in the crankcase.
I see no need to remove the muffler for this task.

Into the sparkplug hole. with piston close to the top. To ensure that it does not slip into a port, and the rising piston will not cut part of it off in the crankcase.
I see no need to remove the muffler for this task.

And remember, clockwise to loosen, it is a left handed thread.

Mark

I hope

I hope you didn't break the end off the crank....I am pretty sure I have new and good used clutches for them..I'll look tomorrow you can still unscrew whats left of the clutch by using the rope and using a pipe wrench to unscrew the mangled end clockwise looking on the end of the crank (left hand thread)

Time serts are much better in this application...Helicoils seem to always come out of the head with the plug eventually

I see now

Okay..I see now what you did. The nut on the end of the crank just keeps the drum on. The clutch hub/shoe carrier also is threaded on to the crank. I have what you need. Was the nut you removed left hand thread? I have seen some right hand threads on Homelite clutches. I have not removed this clutch yet but I will after I eat. It would help if you could post a pic of where you are with the clutch right now

Everybody,

Thanks for the replies. I have removed the cylinder and flywheel, but I can jam the connecting rod against the case with a block of wood to stop the crank. The nut holding the clutch is the normal right-hand thread.

I'll see about the pipewrench idea tonight.

I'll also followup on the other thread repair system as well.

Upon closer examination, the top ring is also stuck in the piston land, although it doesnt look blue or melted. Hope its not seized.

I'll post again after the weekend and let you know how I make out.

Mannnnn.....you may want the whole parts saw I was going to take the clutch off of....most likely the top ring is just stuck from old oil/gas varnish. If the nut was RHT then the clutch will be the same Right Hand Thread....I don't think you have enough room for the pipe wrench......large vise grips will work

PEST

I believe the clutch is indeed lefthand thread. By the way, what would you sell your parts saw for? Any idea of the cost of shipping to Nashville? I wouldn't need the bar or chain.

If this old saw hadnt belonged to my grandfather, I'd just write it off. He and I and my brother spent alot of good times working in the woods of northern Wisconsin and that old saw was there through it all. It was more of a back-up. Grandfather was actually partial to Johnsereds. He gave away two of those two man chain saws back in the earlier 80's - God, those things looked dangerous.

If at all possible post a pic so I can make sure I have one that all the parts will swap out....there were numerous permutations of those old Homelites The Super XL I have looks like an XL 12 sort of.....but there is also a super-XL that looks like the old super-EZ style

Last edited:
Pest,

thanks for hanging in there. The link to the second pic did not work, however, it does not look like the first one. I'll try to post a couple of pictures later.

Latest posts

Back