Homelite SXLAO Clutch Locked Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisAdam45

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have an old (blue) Super XL Auto Oiler that I cut firewood with for a couple years. I haven't cut with it for the last couple years because I've been borrowing a 288XP... I recently got my own 288XP project and decided to sell the Homelite to help fund some parts.

I got the chains nice and sharp and took it up into the woods to run it the other day and the clutch is locked up. What I mean is that with the saw not running I can pull on the chain and the engine turns over, or when I pull the starter rope the chain moves. I spent the day cutting with it like this and it cuts just fine but still never releases.

I pulled the cover off and pulled the nut off of the end of the crank but now I'm at a loss of how to get the clutch drum off. It seems like the drum is supposed to slip off once the nut is off and then maybe the clutch would unscrew (probably LH threads) but since the drum is frozen to the clutch I can't pull it off.

Should I just try to unscrew the whole thing? What's the best way to turn it? There's not much space around the outside of the drum in the side of the crank case. I guess I could try some channel locks on the sprocket but I'd be afraid to hurt it.

What should I do?

Fixed

Thanks. I squirted some penetrating oil into the end of the bearing and then went to Lowes for some rope for the cylinder and then I was able to get it apart. I smacked it with the hammer/punch a couple times and it broke loose like you said. The bearing looks like its in perfect shape, but the sawdust/grease gumbo was packed in between the clutch and drum pretty bad. I cleaned it all up and now it's working great. Thanks!

PS is the drum bearing supposed to be lubed by the chain oil? I can't see how it would be...

Not lubed by chain oil, you grease it occasionally by doing what you did. Remove, clean, grease and reassemble. I do mine when I do a good cleaning, remove bar, dress the bar rails, blowout sawdust with air, grease the bearing, check the rim drive and drum for wear....that kind of stuff, about one every 6 months.

Back