Homelite WIZ Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yesterday I purchased an old Homelite WIZ saw at a local "antique" store. I got it home and found it had spark and compression, I put a little gas in the cylinder and it fired on that. I took the carb off and cleaned it up and I have it running, took it to my wood pile and cut some with it. WOW, those old gear reduction saws are really slow compared to my 361 and 441. I went to Mr. Acre's site and the max RPM is 6000 on this saw? I checked it with my tach and that is what I am turning. Is 6000 the correct max RPM for this saw? Seems slow to me

That is probaly all that you will get out of that old bugger.

I have one of those gear drives also, they are slow. I know what you mean about slow. I have mine set to where it will start without priming it. As far as running it I just don't know as I have nothing to compare it to. It runs so I just leave it at that. I don't want to to ruin it by running it too lean just to get a little more speed out out of it.

If you can get your saw to start and run. I would leave it alone. I really wouldn't think you would want to seriously cut wood with that old clunker. Those old saws are just for show and exhibition cutting just to show people how it used to be done years ago.

The one thing to keep in mind is those saws were fast compared to using misery whips back in the so called " Good Old Days" .

Larry

Last edited:
They were slow, but they will cut anything. Where the new saws will bind in a big cut those old gear drives will just grind on through. They are mostly for display but some set them up on mills.

I just sharpened the chain on my oregon grinder and after it sat all night it started on the second pull! You guys are right they are built like a tank and with the chain sharp it can really pull some chips out. These are fun to play with, I have had lots of fun out of my $20 investment so far. Next time someone wants to borrow a saw, they can have the WIZ! I doubt if they ask again.

Back