Interesting different oil/ratio observation today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl HP. Orange bottle. Made by Omni. It would likely be a better product if made b

Stihl HP. Orange bottle. Made by Omni. It would likely be a better product if made by Castrol

View attachment 1106299
I also use Castrol 2T When I see it I buy it. I already knew who bottled and produced HP. No one where I live sells 2T. When I had my old dirt bike I would by it by the case online.

Stihl HP. Orange bottle. Made by Omni. It would likely be a better product if made by Castrol

View attachment 1106299
I never did like that Omni stuff. The shop I went to in the 90s said they used it in their repari shop, but I suspect that had nothing to do with quality, and a lot to do with it not stinking much so they could run stuff inside the building. But what do I know? I bought some red armor last month, and that's what I plan to use. Thanks, Huskihl, for shedding light on this.

I never did like that Omni stuff. The shop I went to in the 90s said they used it in their repari shop, but I suspect that had nothing to do with quality, and a lot to do with it not stinking much so they could run stuff inside the building. But what do I know? I bought some red armor last month, and that's what I plan to use. Thanks, Huskihl, for shedding light on this.
Red armor will serve you well

Red Armor, Spectrum, is subsidiary of Phillips 66 headquarters in Texas crude country. Spectrum company located in Japan makes specialized cooking oils out of nuts and organic materials. l Maybe that's why you guys are nuts over it. Just fun humor. I like echo saws, I've never tried their oil. Proprietary blends of synthetic oil formulas are kinda like secrets. Curious what some use. I still wonder what organic type oils are used in the blends. If you compress anything you can get oil out of it. Kinda wondered about CBD oil that's deemed to contaminated for human consumption being use. They plant hemp in contaminated soil to pull contaminants out of the soil, common practice for a long time (even nuclear contaminants). I know I'm running off course of the O.P. I will leave it at food for thought, oily thoughts at that

Red Armor, Spectrum, is subsidiary of Phillips 66 headquarters in Texas crude country. Spectrum company located in Japan makes specialized cooking oils out of nuts and organic materials. l Maybe that's why you guys are nuts over it. Just fun humor. I like echo saws, I've never tried their oil. Proprietary blends of synthetic oil formulas are kinda like secrets. Curious what some use. I still wonder what organic type oils are used in the blends. If you compress anything you can get oil out of it. Kinda wondered about CBD oil that's deemed to contaminated for human consumption being use. They plant hemp in contaminated soil to pull contaminants out of the soil, common practice for a long time (even nuclear contaminants). I know I'm running off course of the O.P. I will leave it at food for thought, oily thoughts at that
Vegetable based oils are no longer in widespread use.
Most FD oils are very similar in conposition.

Spectrum was bought by P66 in 2014 and then sold maybe 5 years latter.
Spectrum is packaging company/ blender.

View attachment 1106299
Omni is a packaging company only.
Castrol actually does make stohl branded oils that are sold in Canada. The orange bottle use to have a small Castrol logo on them.
With that said I've never thought Castrol made great two cycle oils, but my expiereance is mostly with their snowmobile oil, which is pretty bad to be honest.

Andy (Lakeside on here) used to say that, that more oil meant a leaner air/fuel mixture. A retired engineer who became a licensed Stihl tech, main guru on this site fifteen years ago. I believed him, though some people said that was just what Stihl said to promote 50:1 for smog purposes. I recall once I shared that bit of info on another oil thread here, and some guy took offense, to the point of suggesting (via abbreviation, of course) that he wanted me to perform a vulgar procedure upon a certain part of his person. Poor fellow. I suggested he might have better luck with that on a different kind of forum. Yeesh.

I believe that the new 50:1 is so good it can be used in 32:1 machines. What I do not understand is why Stihl would make a premium synthetic oil that is not top notch in lube and detergency. It's Stihl, for gosh sakes. I really don't get that.
More oil in your premix does lean the fuel to air ratio very slightly. This isn't rocket science. Small swings in temp, humidity, elevation change air to fuel ratio more, so ita nothing to get bent out of shape about.
Stihl has always sold poor oil in comparison to the other manufacturers. Ultra specifically was blended as a band aid to help with issues in the poorly designed 4mix engine.

Omni is a packaging company only.
Castrol actually does make stohl branded oils that are sold in Canada. The orange bottle use to have a small Castrol logo on them.
With that said I've never thought Castrol made great two cycle oils, but my expiereance is mostly with their snowmobile oil, which is pretty bad to be honest.
Not much knowledge on snowmobiles, only 2 cycle water cooled outboards and jet skis with fresh, swamp and salt water cooling. I'm sure snowmobiles running in below freezing temps are finicky about fuel, no doubt. I've never even sat on a snowmobile. Only tracked equipment I've worked on is military and that isn't even close. Many left running continuous in sub 0 for days on end. Some 45kw gens were never unracked for more than 20 minutes for months. I'm partially deaf from them loud bast#**s even with hearing protection.

Not much knowledge on snowmobiles, only 2 cycle water cooled outboards and jet skis with fresh, swamp and salt water cooling. I'm sure snowmobiles running in below freezing temps are finicky about fuel, no doubt. I've never even sat on a snowmobile. Only tracked equipment I've worked on is military and that isn't even close. Many left running continuous in sub 0 for days on end. Some 45kw gens were never unracked for more than 20 minutes for months. I'm partially deaf from them loud bast#**s even with hearing protection.
As far as snowmobile oils , Quaker State was a premium oil used by numerous race teams back in the day as I mentioned previously , until it became scarce . More recently Shell / Pennzoil apparently is the parent company today here . Shell Advance Premium 2T (Snow Ultra or SX) in the Blue jug is also a very high quality over the counter product up North today utilized by sled & cycle recreational users . Not aware if it's Jaso certified , nothing illustrated on the bottle , only that it's low odour & smoke ?

So people should be constantly tuning a saw as the chain gets dull?
Personally I've never used or owned a chainsaw that finicky with it's tune.. How could anyone get any work done constantly tuning every few minutes sounds like madness to me 🤔
Have you had problems than don't change anything.

Personally I've never used or owned a chainsaw that finicky with it's tune.. How could anyone get any work done constantly tuning every few minutes sounds like madness to me 🤔
Typicly you tune to the rich side so this isn't an issue.
Most dealers set them extremely rich so the can survive the guys that ride their saw like a horse.
When I logged I'd tune in the morning in most cases and then sometimes in the afternoon. The area I lived in had pretty crazy temp swings, especially in the fall.

Not every few minutes , however after a few hours cutting in the cooler damper morning temperatures , i often resharpen , refuel & top up the bar oil & give it a quick tune , later in the mid afternoon . Usually just a tweak of the H & L speed jets due to barimetric pressure & temp swings if another few hours of cutting are antisipated or required . Its a by ear adjustment , i don't mount the tach in such cases . It becomes second nature , after a refuel & sharpening lol.

Yeah I give the chain a rub after every tank. Can run 10 plus tanks a day I've never noticed a noticeable change in tune throughout the day myself. Can say the same about the fixed jet (no high or low) saws I own never noticed a noticeable change in tune with them either.
I tune the opposite of fat which should give me even less margin of error.. Guess I've just been lucky.

Back