homelite xl question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpl

ArboristSite Lurker
On my xl the clutch looks like it comes off with a spanner or something. Just wondering if thats correct or if it can be pulled? Does the flywheel just pull off as well? Thanks.

lawnmowertech37

lawnmowertech37

Addicted to ArboristSite
On my xl the clutch looks like it comes off with a spanner or something. Just wondering if thats correct or if it can be pulled? Does the flywheel just pull off as well? Thanks.

normally the clutch if it is the 3 shoe type clutch assembly it is threaded in the center so its threaded onto the crankshaft so using a puller wont pull that off

rpl

ArboristSite Lurker
Homelite Xl Automatic

hi lawnmowertech,

Do I need a special tool to remove that clutch. On closer examination it appears, as you said, to be threaded. What about the flywheel?
Thanks for your help.

cjcocn

cjcocn

Tree Freak
lesorubcheek

lesorubcheek

Addicted to ArboristSite
hi lawnmowertech,

Do I need a special tool to remove that clutch. On closer examination it appears, as you said, to be threaded. What about the flywheel?
Thanks for your help.

Clutches are threaded and are left-handed. You'd turn it clockwise to loosen it. A spanner or home-made tool will be needed to engage the slots on the clutch to turn it. The flywheel uses a pressed taper with a keyway for alignment. A nut (normal right-hand thread) presses it on. Loosen the nut and use a puller. The old "rope though the spark plug hole" is a great method to keep the crank from turning while doing these jobs.

Dan

Latest posts