homelite xl12 no spark. Solid state, blue coil. Now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cant none of these, be made to run,,with the little electronic modules made?? the atom ones,or other brands???

With the electronic modules there are no wires to connect the triggering units like the Atom. On the older coils there were wires from the points to the coil that get cut and the trigger unit spliced into.

With the electronic modules there are no wires to connect the triggering units like the Atom. On the older coils there were wires from the points to the coil that get cut and the trigger unit spliced into.
wellllllll, when the points took a dump on the briggs..I got the electronic briggs coil for it,,and there were NO wires to connect!!! just cut the points wire, and run it!!! that's why I akssssed

Do believe that a 0.012"coil gap is the correct setting. A business card works fine though.

Strange that the unit has a Wico FW & a Prestolite blue coil though...but there was a service bulletin about that for the SEZ saws series...

If I remember, that was a Homolite business decision to dual source vendors due to delivery
issues.

See post #4
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/help-with-homelite-super-xl-12.257006/#post-4806810
The old Poulans were like that, Wico FW and Prestolite coils.

I think Wico and Prestolite were joined at the hip.

The OP can put a points coil on that saw and fire it with s Nova module. Been there and done that.

wellllllll, when the points took a dump on the briggs..I got the electronic briggs coil for it,,and there were NO wires to connect!!! just cut the points wire, and run it!!! that's why I akssssed

Yep, if the module is fully electronic it will work fine but to use the atom chips you need the old style points/condenser coil like Mark posted above, then the Atom chips and others like it will work. Stihl makes one of those chip/trigger units as well, they work with any points type coil.

Randy is correct, there is no lobe on the crank to run points.

Let me clarify what I said earlier when I said to use a points coil. I didn't specifically mean a Super XL points coil as it is a 3 legged core and is riveted to the mount/points box assembly.

I have swapped the whole mount from one but had to cut the points box off as it will not clear under the electronic flywheel. If you could find a donor saw it would be a simple swap if you had the point flywheel also.

I think a Poulan 306 point coil might swap right on to it, but I have not tried that.

The other option is to swap out a different electronic coil/module to it. There are plenty of options to try. I would think a Husky 55 style electronic coil might work and if the core won't bolt up you can put the Husky module on the Homelite core if it fits ok. A Poulan micro style module has been adapted to many older saws with success..

Back