homemade bandmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camojeep

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Been a busy spring and summer and i tired of using my alaskan decided to build a band mill i dont know much about them . I will hopefully finish the carrage this week end got to finish welding and make some blade guides and some gaurds . I got a wood mizer blade .042 7/8 pitch got a ten horse mounted on it do you think that will pull it? I got pulleys for 5500 sfpm does that sound right? I got i beams for the track does any body got any good ideas for racheting log dogs or any pics of dogs for holding the log Ill post more pics as i progress Thanks

5500 sfpm sounds a little fast to me, but I'm going off of my memory.:dizzy:
The sfpm you want depends on a lot of different things, but in my opinion the size & type of blade are the most important ones.
For the .042 x I'm assuming 1 1/4" blade it seems like I remember a sfpm of 4800.
Try googling Suffolk Machinery. They have a lot of good info on band blades & set up.

Andy

5500 sfpm sounds a little fast to me, but I'm going off of my memory.:dizzy:
The sfpm you want depends on a lot of different things, but in my opinion the size & type of blade are the most important ones.
For the .042 x I'm assuming 1 1/4" blade it seems like I remember a sfpm of 4800.
Try googling Suffolk Machinery. They have a lot of good info on band blades & set up.

Andy

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/troubleshooting.asp

Hi Ho: Here is the simplest and best clamp I'v seen JP

simpleclampbase.jpg

Blade speed has a lot to do with the horsepower you have too - I was up around 5400 fpm, slowed up to 4800 and got better results. This was on advise from Tim Cook from Cooksaw in Alabama. I'm not sure what the percentage is, but the 10 hp 3 phase motor I run has a lot more available power than a 10 hp gas engine. Has to do with electric efficiency over gas engine efficiency. At 5500 fpm with the engine you have, results might be dissapointing.

The 10 horse I have wouldnt compare to a 50 gas :( . I remember seeing in a grainger book that it was either 1 2/3 or 1 3/4 hp to 1 . So a 10hp electric should compare to around 17hp gas. Cant find chart in new book.

My dogs are cam acting. I took a 5" round peice of 1/4" steel plate and welded a piece of 3/4" pipe to it. Weld the pipe off center ( I welded mine about halfway between center and edge of disc ). Then I have 3" pieces of 1" pipe welded every several inches down a crossmember in the frame. I had to file the weld out of the inside of them but it was worth it. I made several cam clamps with different length pipes. welded a handle, then used a bungee strap to keep it tight. ( chain and a spring would probably be better )

couldnt resist got her runnin had to cut something cuts little faster than a chain saw i got to make ga:givebeer: rds and track now

no i have never seen a band mill in operation neighbors got an old one with a big rip blade that looks pretty dangerous im gonna get guards made tomorrow

Back