Homemade chainsaw brake band.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J & L Creations

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been successful at making my own chainsaw brake band, works well. Used titanium, should last much longer. I also used the same rod that the band is attached to with new rivets, so everything fit exactly the same, just had to shape the band and cut it to the correct length, cut the slots and drilled holes where needed. Reason I did this, I was told the brake band was no longer available.
image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg

You should pump out a bunch of those.
I usually find one off a early 61 but their are 2 different ones that had the metal flag so you have to check
Great job
.:clap:

Thanks 295, yes this same band will fit other saws. I can make any band needed, what stops me is what I would have to charge to make it worth while to a customer or myself. Not having the saw to match each band makes it even harder. Also I reused some of the old parts, so that entails receiving all these parts from the customer-shipping, making new bands, fitting them to the particular saw, then shipping back to the customer. I just don't see customer satisfaction when having to pay for shipping twice, I know I would not want to pay for shipping twice. So I encourage those who need new bands that are NLA to make their own if they have the skills and why I posted this, so all can see it can be done.

Hello Bob, I had access to aircraft rivets, as I worked on them, but sence retired. Best thing you could use instead of rivets is to use aluminum or brass welding rods a steel plate and a ball peen hammer. I’ve done this before and works great.

Thanks. I picked up a steel flag brake and clutch cover for my 266SE. It came with a broken band. I may check my local hardware store for rivets. If I can't find some I'll try your method.

I work in aerospace too but we don't have titanium sheet that I have seen. I'm going to look for a scrap starter spring or I could use a long stainless hose clamp.

It looks like your brake doesn't have a thumbscrew. Neither does mine. My 44 brake has the thumbscrew. It doesn't seem like it does much if anything. Why was it included n the brake and is it necessary?

The thumb screw doesn't really have anything to do with the brake......it is actually an adjustable limiter on the AV system....if you force the saw frame to hard/far it sets off the chain brake. Like when pushing a to dull chain or just being to cave man with the tool....so whether it is necessary or not is a bit of a question......I would say not necessary but helpful if you use it as and indicator of things not operating at optimum....

Back