homemade fire rake.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said it Takes More Heat To Weld It conducts nearly as well, its just harder so it stands up to more heat. If it was such a poor conductor then It surely wouldn't be used for cooking would it.

Your wrong argue it all day long its used for cookwear because of many other properties its heat dissipation not one of them and only in the lowest grade cookwear.

Ask anyone who cooks about it and they will tell you stainless will scorch food before anything else moonshiners are particularly aware of this property and its more pronounced over a flame vs a heating element.

Want to test it? Get a 12ga sheet of stainless and carbon and stick a rosebud to each one for 20 seconds and see what happens.

Actually, a sprinkler head to cool off the operator would be welcome. I have been happy to be under the gentle mist part of a bucket drop. Not directly, just getting the mist.
For you not been on fire line people, it is often a hot place and a metal handle just sounds bad, unless it can hold all the above mentioned accessories. And keep the stick walkers occupied.

Your wrong argue it all day long its used for cookwear because of many other properties its heat dissipation not one of them and only in the lowest grade cookwear.

Ask anyone who cooks about it and they will tell you stainless will scorch food before anything else moonshiners are particularly aware of this property and its more pronounced over a flame vs a heating element.

Want to test it? Get a 12ga sheet of stainless and carbon and stick a rosebud to each one for 20 seconds and see what happens.

Try it yourself. and use a laser thermometer, stainless will be just as hot, it just takes a higher temp. to turn red, hence its harder to weld. They use it in cookware because its... stainless, and stronger than aluminium, however having cooked more then a few meals myself, and being raised in a moonshine area, it reacts about the same as cast iron, but not as well as copper, however copper works better with lower heat, being that copper actually does conduct better, so you get a more even heat, hence while some, not all stainless cook ware has a copper coating on it and why you can by a heat despencer for welding made out of... copper. And the reason stainless scorches is because people tend to buy the cheapest cookware they can where as you get the thinist metal they can make it out of, hence leading to more heat transfer faster, leading to.... scorching.

Stainless is made from Iron, a good but not great conductor, Chromium, an excellent conductor, Nickel, an even better conductor. and a few other things, like carbon for the really hard stuff, the thing that makes stainless so nice is its stable under heat, because of the nickel and chromium, which means it can handle higher temperatures, which means it takes more heat to weld, which makes most welders assume its not a good conductor of heat.

Except for the chrome and nickel, which are in the less then 2% range, Stainless has about the same chemical make up as regular mild steel, and being that chrome and nickel are both better conductors then iron...

So yeah I will argue the point because I actually understand metallurgy, its what I do for a living. Most welders barely understand the differences from one type of stainless to the other.

Sorry for the derail...

Read a book... like the machinery's handbook... otherwise try it yourself, and use a thermometer not just your blurry vision.

Here I thought you were a logger...

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/overall-heat-transfer-coefficients-d_284.html

Stainless is half as efficient as copper. ;) Which is why there's a big ass copper plate welded to the bottom of any stainless pot or pan worth buying.

Taking more power to weld is also a perfect example of this being true. It takes more heat input to achieve the same core temperature, because the heat isn't readily conducted.

Lincoln welders must be high too? Oh, I get it - they didn't read Machinery's handbook?

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-solutions/Pages/compact-welders.aspx

"stainless steel has lower thermal conductivity, meaning that heat energy does not transfer or move away from the weld zone as fast. This is beneficial in welding, in that it therefore does not require as much current to achieve complete fusion because the heat is not being pulled away from the weld zone as rapidly."

Perfect example of "I read about it" vs actual first hand experience. And insulting welders really makes you look like the better man, for what its worth I am a high precision machine part welder and I make my living understanding how metal reacts to the application of heat in thousands of an inch not just some idiot melting metal together in his backyard shop.

Mmmmmm, no hydraulics because those hoses sometimes break and the refreshing mist of water could turn evil. I was also thinking of an umbrella attachment for sun protection.

Latest posts

Back