Homeowner gets taken advantage of

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alex Kriss,

Give it away for free to get rid of it. I've got 25 years in the tree biz and you would be most fortunate to have someone just come and get it and not even rake up afterwards. Firewood as a raw material is almost worthless. It's the cutting, splitting, seasoning, delivery and stacking that makes up the cost of the end product, firewood.

If I were you I wouldn't even insist that one person has to take it all. Put it out there on a first come first serve basis. Tell them to cut it and load it and any cutting they do extra someone else might come along and take before they get back.

Del_ Thanks for your insight. I won't (or can't) insist on anything

Why not change your CL ad and make it clear that you are giving the wood away. Your ad still reads like you are fishing for ssomeone who is willing to pay you.

bert the turtle. You have hit the nail on the head. You have summarized the last 12 hours very well. I joined this site this morning knowing nothing at all about the firewood business and I have learned a lot about it and the people involved.
Thank you for your observations
Alex

Why not change your CL ad and make it clear that you are giving the wood away. Your ad still reads like you are fishing for ssomeone who is willing to pay you.
I changed the CL ad 3 hours ago.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Alex

It is interesting to read some people's thoughts about what is valuable and what is not. When I was much younger I bought a rusted out 1956 chevy 2 door for $150. Everyone said it was worthless and not worth my time. I spent a year working on it as a hobby and put about $700 dollars in parts. It wasn't a show car by any means but I did sell it for $2,000. I thought that was a very good return on investment in 1980. Just thinking out loud I guess

It is interesting to read some people's thoughts about what is valuable and what is not. When I was much younger I bought a rusted out 1956 chevy 2 door for $150. Everyone said it was worthless and not worth my time. I spent a year working on it as a hobby and put about $700 dollars in parts. It wasn't a show car by any means but I did sell it for $2,000. I thought that was a very good return on investment in 1980. Just thinking out loud I guess
you sound like a good man. and you are correct to think this wood has value,but,not right now. split and seasoned then it has value.

Zogger and UpOnTheHill, Thank you. I am hoping to resolve this problem on Sunday
jimmycrackcorn, If you pay for something you don't get would you consider it a loss? I paid to have the tree cut down, cut up and removed. It didn't get removed and that is the "loss" I was referring to. It is true that if someone comes to my house and removes this tree for free than I have not occurred that loss. What do you think the odds are of that happening? I feel it is slim since UponTheHill doesn't live near me. (He sounds like a very nice person)

Yes I would consider it a loss if I got shafted, but I wouldnt try to pass that along to the next guy who would have to be a clueless homeowner with a new wood stove to pay that much for that amount of wood. Your just fishing for a sucker posting it for sale like that. You also know the fastest way to get it gone is to post it for free, especially since you think the odds of it happening are slim. Please don't act like you didn't know any better..

Yes I would consider it a loss if I got shafted, but I wouldnt try to pass that along to the next guy who would have to be a clueless homeowner with a new wood stove to pay that much for that amount of wood. Your just fishing for a sucker posting it for sale like that. You also know the fastest way to get it gone is to post it for free, especially since you think the odds of it happening are slim. Please don't act like you didn't know any better..

If you have read this thread that I started this morning you should have realized several things. I wasn't trying to "shaft a clueless homeowner with a new wood stove" to pay that much for that amount of wood. You should know I am a homeowner who had no idea on how the fire wood business is run. You should know I had no idea that wood that hasn't been cut to length, split and seasoned is considered worthless regardless of what type of wood it is or how much of it there is. You should know that I didn't know that asking for money for wood would be considered selfish and make me into someone who should be called a **********. You should also know that I wouldn't judge you

I did read the thread..
I know.. I know. Your just a helpless victim.. If you thought it was going to be hard to get rid of in the first place why would you ask $$ for it, never mind $600, anyone with half a brain knows it isn't worth even a 1/4 that. Makes absolutely no sense at all. Take Del's advice as I have none.

Hey, no big harm in thinking you could sell it. You might still could given the amazing prices for firewood in your area..but it would have to be c/s/s.

I can relate to geezerhood and infirmities, when my back goes out sometimes it takes me five minutes to go hit the can, walking across two rooms, near pass out from the pain level. Thankfully that is only a few times a year. I couldn't pick up and move one stick of wood then if you paid me.

Any neighborhood high school kids you could shoot a 20 to, to at least drag it out of the driveway?

I just can't believe the lazy tree guy leaving ya'all stuck with a blocked drive like that.

I did read the thread..
I know.. I know. Your just a helpless victim.. If you thought it was going to be hard to get rid of in the first place why would you ask $$ for it, never mind $600, anyone with half a brain knows it isn't worth even a 1/4 that. Makes absolutely no sense at all. Take Del's advice as I have none.
You just can't seem to understand that I didn't know that it would be hard to get rid of and that it wasn't worth anything. This is information I have learned today. I was not born with the knowledge you were born with.

Hey, no big harm in thinking you could sell it. You might still could given the amazing prices for firewood in your area..but it would have to be c/s/s.

I can relate to geezerhood and infirmities, when my back goes out sometimes it takes me five minutes to go hit the can, walking across two rooms, near pass out from the pain level. Thankfully that is only a few times a year. I couldn't pick up and move one stick of wood then if you paid me.

Any neighborhood high school kids you could shoot a 20 to, to at least drag it out of the driveway?

I just can't believe the lazy tree guy leaving ya'all stuck with a blocked drive like that.

I believe I might be able to resolve this problem on Sunday. I'm glad to hear that your back problems occur only a few times a year. My primary progressive MS affects my ability to move every day. Thankfully I'm not in a wheelchair quite yet.

TreePointer, Thank you very much for your comment and the information. As stated, I am only a home owner, Not someone involved in tree trimming and firewood sales. Having said that, if I was a firewood retailer and could buy tons of wood for a small amount of money I think it would peak my interest.

Except you are asking (or were) for a ton of money for tons of wood. In the firewood business the profit is in the work involved processing that wood. Stumpage (what one pays to get the wood to process) is a very minor part of the equation and no one pays much for it. As others have said. For $600 it would have to be at least two cords, cut, delivered and stacked at my house.

At most you _might_ be able to sell it for around $100.

Harry K

Except you are asking (or were) for a ton of money for tons of wood. In the firewood business the profit is in the work involved processing that wood. Stumpage (what one pays to get the wood to process) is a very minor part of the equation and no one pays much for it. As others have said. For $600 it would have to be at least two cords, cut, delivered and stacked at my house.

At most you _might_ be able to sell it for around $100.

Harry K

2 cords, thats it?? I'd expect 4 cord of cut seasoned wood for $600 bucks. I can get 6 cords of green firewood logs for $600, no way that tree has 6 cords in it!

As previously stated, if you want it moved then Free is your answer. If you dont want to let it go for free then ask $20 a truck load and make it known you will take offers and first come first serve.

I'd personally pay as much as $20 per truck load of that green wood if it wasnt more than 10 miles away, and I'd probably feel like I made out good too. Good luck.

Guys read the OP,s reply's and see that he does not care about getting paid for the wood. He has since stated this on more than 1 occasion.You guys know a lot more about arbourist/firewood activities than he does, and surely would be better to offer advice than to throw him under the first passing bus.

Guys read the OP,s reply's and see that he does not care about getting paid for the wood. He has since stated this on more than 1 occasion.You guys know a lot more about arbourist/firewood activities than he does, and surely would be better to offer advice than to throw him under the first passing bus.

X2

X3

Alex, I have to commend you on your patience and politeness dealing with these guys! WAAAYYY beyond my personal tolerance level for sure
! lol Your dog is not out of line thinking as much of you as it does!:clap:

My mom had MS so I understand completely how hard it is to deal with this disease. Good luck to you in getting this problem cleared up! If I lived closer I would be there in a heartbeat just so you could use your driveway!

Ted

No joke, leave the guy alone about the $600 people. He didn't know what it was worth as he isn't in the business. You would think that since the guy was shafted by supposedly someone in our line of work, we could be at least gracious enough to let him down easy. Or at least help him out about his situation as best we could by moving the wood off his property. That's what this forum is designed for right?? Helping people out that may not have the experience or know how?? Sometimes it seems that some posters on this site feel it's their job to ball-bust others on things they did wrong until they feel like a complete idiot. Maybe it makes them feel like a better woodsman...I don't know..>SMH

Back