Homeowner - Handheld Blower which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I am looking for some input. I dont need much just a simple run of the mill handheld blower for the few leaves I get. To many leaves to want to rake but enough that they need cleaned up. I am looking at either a stihl BG55 or an echo PB-250ln both are the entry level least expensive as I dont need more. Any opinions?

The stihl dealer is good but is a little farther away then the echo dealer. The echo dealer is ok. I do like the Stihl dealer and I go there when I need things for my saw so it is a toss up for me.

The stihl is lighter than then echo but the echo has a longer warranty. Price wise they are both similar.

The BG 55is a good little unit my neighbor has one and it sips fuel when he has wet leaves it takes a bit more time,but its a decent unit use good gas and Stihl mix and it should last many seasons.have not used an echo,their saws are well built but a biit low on power in the cut compared to others.JMHO

If you will mostly hold it in your right hand check to see which side the intake air is on. My Stihl is on the right so when I hold it in my right hand all is well, when I change to left hand it sometimes sucks my pants leg against it. My brother has an Echo and it is reversed from the Stihl. If you wear spandex it wont matter.

I've had my SH 86 C-E for about five years. It's still a nice tool, and well worth the purchase price. Last year I found a used BR 600 non MAGNUM that wasn't too beat (not easy to do). The difference in performance is almost indescribable, literally blown away. I stihl use the SH 86 C-E to blow the dust off from my tractor after a mow though.

Not to hijack but I have the BR 600 that I made into a magnum with the fuel line kit it's an awesome machine

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

If you will mostly hold it in your right hand check to see which side the intake air is on. My Stihl is on the right so when I hold it in my right hand all is well, when I change to left hand it sometimes sucks my pants leg against it. My brother has an Echo and it is reversed from the Stihl. If you wear spandex it wont matter.
Spandex is not an option. But being left handed that is something that I definitely will take a look at.
I can't speak for the new ones but my brothers Echo would be better if you will use it mostly left handed. I have owned both brands in other equipment with no complaints.

Not to hijack but I have the BR 600 that I made into a magnum with the fuel line kit it's an awesome machine

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
No hijack at all. I am upset I walked away from one at an auction at $100 that was in decent shape only because at the time I didn't know what I was looking at.

I have run the stihl leaf blower and don't remember having any issues. I was at the echo dealer today and the salesman decided to tell me that stihl was junk etc etc. He didn't seem to take it too well when I told him I like stihl saws. That was really a bad sales move. I'm not a fan of telling me everything else is junk and not selling me on the qualities of the unit I am looking at. I will most likely get the stihl now unless I find a compelling reason to get the echo.

I agree that negative salesmen are a turnoff, I don't remember the number right now but I got the bigger Stihl handheld blower because it had an anti-vibe system that helps if you have any carpal tunnel problems, same reason I don't use my old 041 FB chainsaw very much anymore.

Check the refurbs on VMInnovations dot com. Got a 50 cc refurbed Husqy backpack for $225, as a ferinstance.
Wet leaves no problem. Runs a couple hours on a quart with a "strato" engine.
They generally have a good variety available, with really good prices f.o.b. your door via FedEx.

How big is your yard? I use a Toro with a 100' cord.

Of course I also have an electric lawn mower, edger, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, chainsaw(s), . . .

Philbert

I have a little over 3/4 an acre. My lot is shaped like a slice of pie, it has a narrow frontage and gets wider as it goes back. Of course my leaves are in 1/4 acre farthest from the house. I have a lot of extension cords but not enough to reach all the way back there. I tried the electric string trimmer last year and it didn't cut it.

Check the refurbs on VMInnovations dot com. Got a 50 cc refurbed Husqy backpack for $225, as a ferinstance.
Wet leaves no problem. Runs a couple hours on a quart with a "strato" engine.
They generally have a good variety available, with really good prices f.o.b. your door via FedEx.

Great call for a little more than I was going to spend on the low end stihl I can get a refurbed husqy backpack. Makes that decision alot easier.

Philbert, I never would have guessed you to be a "lectric" guy.

Electric lawn mower, electric edger, electric string trimmer, electric hedge trimmer, electric leaf blower, electric chainsaws, . . . shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. . . .

Philbert

I've picked up a few Shindaiwa handhelds on the cheap. Not trying to sell you on this as an option but just wanted to mention how handy the little blowers are.
I bought a back pack but it only sees action once a year for the big leaf cleanup.

The stihl blowers are great, they also have a handle on the bottom too so you can easily use it two handed. Pull the spark arrestor though, they block up even on 50-1 and run much better without

Latest posts

Back