Honestly Now: Do I Need A Stihl 046?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlRockin'

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok, please no one sell me on the newer saws, as I'm still stuck back when Stihl had the "0" in front of the numbers. LOL!

I have 2 044's and a 064 and will be getting another 064 soon.(have larger saws too) I do have a Stihl 046 I just bought, but haven't used it yet. By my approximations the 046 carries one pound more weight given the same bar length as the 044 and has 1/2 more hp, ie, horsepower.

I really like my 036 Pros for limbing, but love the 044 for all-purpose limbing and bucking wood.(residential tree removals) The 036 Pro is a back saver when I have to hold onto the saw for any length of time limbing.

Now I haven't used the 046 yet, so I can't speak from experience, but to me it's a bass-turd saw... an unusual saw given there's a 044 and 064 already available. Did this saw really need to be made? Does it really have merit for it's own existence? It seems to be such an in-between-saw and don't really know if I need it or not. ??

For those of you who have or used both the 044 & 064, do you use or need your 046?

Ok, I hate to admit this, being a treeguy and all, but I don't have any wood big enough in my backyard to give the saw a real challenge. LOL!.... so I'm relying on your feedback to give me a clue on what I should do with this saw.

Please give me your opinions on this saw and it's "practical" uses on your wood cutting endeavors.

StihlRockin'

Ive only used one next to a 440 once.
Same weight, more power, noticeably more torque.

I think with the 460 availiable .. why offer the 440.

Youve got your question backasswards.

You do not need an 046. How much do you want for it?

I have most of the saws you are talking about and Can tell ya my 460/046 was purchased because they stoped making the 440/044. I prefer my 044 for liming and my 660 for bucking big stuff. I realy like my 460 but it is for sure a tweener that I do not go to as much at the other two.

Now are you convinced, How much?

I've posted this before but.... The 046 was intended to be the replacement for the 044 way back when Stihl changed all of their line-up over from the 0?4 line to the 0?6 line. When Stihl changed the line over most of the saws got an increase in cc and as a result more HP. The 046 was intended to replace the 044 in the line and the 044 was to be discontinued along with the rest of the line (024, 034, 064, 084) and changed to the new 0?6 designation (026, 036, 046, 066 (and somehow 088 :confused: )). The 044 never fell off in sales like Stihl thought it would and was only recently discontinued, with some protest I might add, and will not be replaced in the line-up.

Your stable seems to favor the 0?4 line of saws making the newer more powerful 0?6 (and MS?60) line-up kinda in-between what you already have. So yes the 046 is a kinda bastard fit in your line-up but bottom line is...... yes you need one :laugh:

Last edited:
I like the 046/460. If I was buying today I would buy a 460. It feels better to me with 24" bar in dry oak compared to my 440. My 440 I have to sometimes take some weight off the bar or it will bog, the 460 only rarely.

I would like to see a 461 from Stihl at about the same weight but boost the displacement to 80cc. That would put the saw perfectly in between the 441 and 660. It needs to be a larger 441 rather than a smaller bored 660 like the 650, if that makes sense.
Dok

Toyjunkie, You may have just got off the boat, so I'll give you a break, but when it comes to buying a Stihl saw, there's no such thing as "Buyer's Remorse".
icon10.gif

I buy, sell and trade saws like kids and their baseball cards. LOL!

=============================

As for the rest of you, you're not doing a good job on getting me to make the decision to sell the saw. I'm joneszin' more than ever to fire it up and go find a log large enough to give 'er the test!

StihlRockin' :D

I certainly did not NEED the PS7900 I just bought! (but don't tell my wife)

:)

JD in PA

Well, for me, it's just about perfect size wise!!! Yes, it's a bit heavy, but man is the power nice!!!
Granted mine is far from stock, but there is little I can't do with a 25" bar, and can burry a 32" in a Hedge tree when I need to.
I have seen a stock 046 run a 32" in Oak, not something I would want to do everyday, but doable. Step back to a 28" with skip (he was running full comp mind you) and it would scream!!!
Run it a bit, I think you will be pleasantly suprised with what it can do, and how easy it is to handle! I would be hard pressed to loose the weight, for the lose of power!!

For those of you who have or used both the 044 & 064, do you use or need your 046?

Please give me your opinions on this saw and it's "practical" uses on your wood cutting endeavors.

StihlRockin'

You know what I love about this site? As long as somebody is asking questions like this, I can successfully avoid the 50 lbs (I kid you not) of paperwork that I'm staring at. Count me in.

Heck, I don't even need the 044, but I have two now and I'm working on an 046. Yeah, you need it. You owe it to yourself.

i personally think the 046 magnum(hollow muffler and stock dual port cover) was one of the best chainsaws ever made..the later 046's are also good. i know the 044/440's are good saws..but i can't hardly stand to run them after having an 046(which is my small saw..the 290 in my sig in my ole' mans saw) the 046's that ive owned and been around seem to be nearly bulletproof..the weight difference is worth the power gained over the 044...i'd say keep the 046 and dump the 044....but that is just me

I LOVE my 460 and would not trade it for a 440. No way! Matter of fact, if I had to keep only one saw in my sig, it would likely be the 460. No kidding. I pulls a 28" chain with authority and could likely go longer.

Stihlrockin', if you have to ask whether you need another saw, you have not progressed with your disease near the speed of other AS members.

We are asking you to step up the pace. :cheers:

We're all in this boat together. :)

I personally think of the 440, 441, and 460 as being in the same class of saws. Why not go with the most power is my thought. Yes, I realize the 440 is lighter. I just don't mind the 460's weight considering it's power.

Back