Honestly Now: Do I Need A Stihl 046?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally think of the 440, 441, and 460 as being in the same class of saws. Why not go with the most power is my thought. Yes, I realize the 440 is lighter. I just don't mind the 460's weight considering it's power.

If you guys keep bragging up the 046 he is never gona sell it to me. Truth be told it is the worst saw ever built, a wild thing can kick its a$$. And if you keep it in your barn with your tractor it will cause your tractor tires to leak calcium and your cows will get pink eye and the bloat. Sell it before it is too late:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

i personally think the 046 magnum(hollow muffler and stock dual port cover) was one of the best chainsaws ever made..the later 046's are also good. i know the 044/440's are good saws..but i can't hardly stand to run them after having an 046(which is my small saw..the 290 in my sig in my ole' mans saw) the 046's that ive owned and been around seem to be nearly bulletproof..the weight difference is worth the power gained over the 044...i'd say keep the 046 and dump the 044....but that is just me

Well said, I have a 046mag with a stock dual port ( I'll be handing it down to my grand kids for a keepsake )

I'm looking at an ms46 on ebay,he says it's a 77cc and does not run.
I'm waiting to see if it turns over,the piston is scored.
It does not say its a mag.

My question is if it just needs a piston and cylinder will a bbkit 54 fit on this saw.

also with a dual port muf and different air filter would I have a good saw

I'm no saw mechanic by no means but I can change parts.

038mag love it.

Last edited:
Ive only used one next to a 440 once.
Same weight, more power, noticeably more torque.

I think with the 460 availiable .. why offer the 440.

Youve got your question backasswards.

Stihl actually didn't here........:givebeer:

But the weight is not the same! :greenchainsaw:

If I was only allowed to keep one saw, it would be my 046. With an 18" bar and 8T sprocket, it is a wicked limbing saw. With a 28" bar and a 7T sprocket, it will cheerfully block up a large hardwood. With the short bar it is light enough to carry around all day without getting tired.

My stock 460 pulls a 36"bar full chisel chain just fine when the need arises,just not as quick as the 24" but at 47,I don't handle big things as quick any more either.

046/460 are some great saws. Stock with a DP cover they rock but really wake up when modded. The build quality and realiablility can't be beat.:clap:

I'm referring to the 046.

=======================

As for finally trying the Stihl 046 I bought, I had a buddy who has some nice Ash firewood I could test the saw. I went over there, fired the beast up and it rocked! I could feel the torque the saw had. Not sure of the rpms, but it slipped through any of the wood I cut on. I just sharpened the chain too, so it was super sharp... and least sharp enough to make any Timbersports champ be envious. LOL!

I originally bought the saw locally to resell as I got a good deal, but after trying it, I'm hesitant to sell it now! Saw definitely has some umpff and am now fighting the urge to keep it. LOL!

Thanks for the replies.

StihlRockin'
icon14.gif

Latest posts

Back