Hop up saw, speed up chain, ever?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
if you hop up the power head and raise the rpm’s plus add a larger tooth rim is our b&c getting enough bar oil? I was just wondering if we don’t raise the amount of bar oil do we lessen the life of the b&c? Do your bar rails seem to wear more?

Theoretically bar oil output will more or less have a linear relation to rpm. Faster the chain spins, the more it oils. More of an issue when running longer bars on smaller powerheads with oilers not designed to oil those longer bars. And some models are just stingy on oil, while others will oil just about anything. A 394/5 will sling oil off a 36” bar. A 660 not so much.

I
And your probly not out firewooding with a 10 tooth sprocket haha.
did run 325-8 tooth (240se), 3/8” 8 tooth in my 266se, 404-8 tooth in my 2100 all had the governors plugged in the carbs. These were in the woods that way.

The older all metal one nut clutch cover 240se was one screaming 40cc saw, I would limb and cut small trees with it.

The sprocket does not increase or decrease flow of oil. You would have to change the worm gear gearing or ramp on the oil pump piston. The sprocket only changes the chain speed, so yes the b/c does wear more with a larger sprocket because it’s getting the same amount of oil as a smaller one.

Latest posts

Back