Hope I don't regret this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is NOT easy, as yall said, and I am finding out that there is a lot more to the story. Some people get handed a sh it sandwich in life and try and try to "change thier stars" Others just wanna get bye, by any means necessary. If that means lying to a family about what put you in the sit your in, then so be it.

It's not easy Scott. I was trying to help a young guy out 4 or 5 years ago. Was teaching him to climb and let him stay with me. He got locked up for a small amount of pot and I gave him a second chance. The very next day he got locked up for stealing a car. That was it. I will not put up with having a thief around me. Too much liability when you are working at people's residences. Not to mention having to worry about your own saws and gear going missing.

Hope things work out for Austin.

It is NOT easy, as yall said, and I am finding out that there is a lot more to the story. Some people get handed a sh it sandwich in life and try and try to "change thier stars" Others just wanna get bye, by any means necessary. If that means lying to a family about what put you in the sit your in, then so be it.

yeah i've eaten some of them samitches. i'm betting yall've already had the "come clean, come to Jesus" meeting and put him on notice that any further surprises will immediately result in him being persona non grata. hang in there bro. even if it comes to putting him out he will still remember you tried to help him. sometimes people have to literally hit the bottom before they can even begin to think about looking up. hope that's not the case. regards to ya.

It's not easy Scott. I was trying to help a young guy out 4 or 5 years ago. Was teaching him to climb and let him stay with me. He got locked up for a small amount of pot and I gave him a second chance. The very next day he got locked up for stealing a car. That was it. I will not put up with having a thief around me. Too much liability when you are working at people's residences. Not to mention having to worry about your own saws and gear going missing.

Hope things work out for Austin.

yeah i've eaten some of them samitches. i'm betting yall've already had the "come clean, come to Jesus" meeting and put him on notice that any further surprises will immediately result in him being persona non grata. hang in there bro. even if it comes to putting him out he will still remember you tried to help him. sometimes people have to literally hit the bottom before they can even begin to think about looking up. hope that's not the case. regards to ya.

No matter the outcome, Scott deserves all the credit for sticking his neck out to bring this kid up in a respectable home environment. In my experience they generally have a silver tongue, and quick hands, talking out of both sides of their mouth while robbing you blind. Until they have a complete change of heart, they'll continue to revert to their old self, and that's sad, considering the good potentials we can see in them.:bang:

thanks guys, I am listening to him skype right now! The things they talk about! I dunno, its hard, but what you guys just described is exactly what I am dealing with right now. Was told, after the fact, that others have done this for him before and he stole from them or took great liberty's with what they allowed him to do(ran up a 1500 phone bill) Hope to god he don't try that here. He is not interested in learning anything, I have had him out and he does good with the small stuff, dragging brush, raking and such, try to explain anything in detail and he doesn't pay attention, as when told to do it, I have to explain it all over again, stayed out all night the other night. So still working out the bugs and trying to determine what is in that brain. He is literally a 14 y/o in mind.

Well, at least he has the excuse of youth... I still have to deal with 30 and 40 something's that need to grow up...

thanks guys, I am listening to him skype right now! The things they talk about! I dunno, its hard, but what you guys just described is exactly what I am dealing with right now. Was told, after the fact, that others have done this for him before and he stole from them or took great liberty's with what they allowed him to do(ran up a 1500 phone bill) Hope to god he don't try that here. He is not interested in learning anything, I have had him out and he does good with the small stuff, dragging brush, raking and such, try to explain anything in detail and he doesn't pay attention, as when told to do it, I have to explain it all over again, stayed out all night the other night. So still working out the bugs and trying to determine what is in that brain. He is literally a 14 y/o in mind.

When I was in NAM, I saw refugee boy's who smoked opium, and they had no desire to learn anything. Like maybe it destroys their brain cells. I don't know if 'pot' does that too.

When I was in NAM, I saw refugee boy's who smoked opium, and they had no desire to learn anything. Like maybe it destroys their brain cells. I don't know if 'pot' does that too.

NAM!Man, hats off to ya, screw that place. Have heard too many horror story's about that place from the"old guard" We had a Sgt Maj at my first unit that was there as a boot grunt. Stuff he would tell us, gave us nightmares.

Yeah, it may be that with him, not sure. If he does it, its not around here, I would smell it.

If you chosen to "teach him the way of the Jedi", number one you should change your name from Bean to OBean-Wan Kenobi.
Second, don't listen to "The boy is too old..dangerous it is..." it's bull poop.
Remember you promised to Qui-Gon Jinn.

Seriously, GOD BLESS YOU.

Thanks, but he chose the way of the Sith. Lying, stealing and drugs. Taking off for days then coming back like nothing happened. Bringing crackheads over to my house (thought he was going to get his peeps hooked up via my fridge) He didn't want to conform to the house rules. Took my youngest sons Fender guitar from his room and tried taking it out of the house, while we where gone, we came home just as he was doing it, that was the last straw. Said he was going out just to "play with some friends" I guess asking was out of the q, I think he was going to pawn it. I tried, really hard even, but he is not interested in any kind of responsible life. His choice. Acuna matada.

easy to tell without smelling. glassy eyes, sh!t eating grin, munchies, lethargic, slow-witted, giggles

His choice is actually meth and pills, he was busted in that garage he was living in, they had a bunch of the crap. Several went to jail.

sorry to hear of his bad choices. his stupidity is his choice. you just can't teach stupid out of someone; only experience can do that.
you did what you could. now all you can do is maybe be there to help put the pieces back together when his seeds sprout and he reaps his bitter harvest. as i see it you have no further obligation (never could see that you ever had an obligation to this ingrate) except what you and your family agree on.
that being said you are a giant in my eyes. God bless you for your compassion and caring. carry on.

Thanks, but he chose the way of the Sith. Lying, stealing and drugs. Taking off for days then coming back like nothing happened. Bringing crackheads over to my house (thought he was going to get his peeps hooked up via my fridge) He didn't want to conform to the house rules. Took my youngest sons Fender guitar from his room and tried taking it out of the house, while we where gone, we came home just as he was doing it, that was the last straw. Said he was going out just to "play with some friends" I guess asking was out of the q, I think he was going to pawn it. I tried, really hard even, but he is not interested in any kind of responsible life. His choice. Acuna matada.

Don't feel all is at a loss. Your sons have learned a lot through this experience, and they will never forget how great their Dad is.

Good deal! There arent to many ppl out there like you with a kind heart any more! Broke the mold so to speak! I hope the kid learns well and does good! Now, I wanna learn the way of the jedi damnit! :D Think I learned from "the dark side" :) and it scares me! lol
Correction.. Didnt read your last post. You tried and thats what counts, You can lead em to the water but, if they wont drink then its all on them. I still wanna learn the way of the Jedi!

Last edited:
Have had to deal with something similar with a close family member in the past couple of weeks Scott. I know the frustration. Finally had to wash my hands of the situation as well. Somebody has to want to help themselves before you can help them. I choose not to get down in the street and run with a bunch of crazy drug addicts. I like having a nice, calm, profitable life. I'll be damned if I'm gonna let somebody drag me down in the street or bring it to my home. Hopefully they will choose a better path once they run out of gas.

Latest posts

Back