hornet attack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a friend on the job that day with a video camera... and he didn't tape the attack... Not sure how well the little guys would have shown up... and it probably would have been funny just to watch me up there screaming... cursing and swatting away wildly...
God Bless,
Daniel

herscel,
my mistake i said they were white faced hornets, but now i see the pic you posted those ARE exactly the little %$#$ers that got me. And funny you should mentioned being buzzed by one and they calvary following cause thats just how it happened.
After i heard the one buzz by and realized it was bee,then the attack hit within a fraction of a second and it was time to bail.
I will always remember the very distinctive "buzz" that these bees give it is a sound i will never forget!

The white face hornets are mothers! I think they are the only ones that can sting repeatedly? Got hit in the tree a few times luckily after being tied in. My brother inlaw used to climb and bailed out of a tree from about 30 ft. up undid his lanyard and jumped! Think he broke his one or both ankles?
Lat year about a week after my knee surgery I was checking out a old property that was getting ready to be razed, still had my brace on and could hobble around. I was looking in the garage and moved the door and got nailed immediately, couldn't run but 2 steps before my leg gave out, about a half hour later I was checking out an overgrown shed and found another nest, got hit once and took about a step and a half before I couldn't move again, both times they didn't chase me and only hit me once, could have been real bad!

JPS, bet your glad no-see-ums only come in the tiny size, how does so much venom fit in such a small package? One the size of a deer fly would kill a person. Tomorrow's first customer (60' spruce removal) called a few hours ago, was moving cinder blocks away from base of tree, stuck hand in yellowjacket hive, half a dozen hits. :eek: Think I might hire this guy for recon, tromped all around that tree and never saw a single bug.

I kicked up some bald face hornets a couple weeks ago up in some big cottonwoods. I kept getting buzzed by one for a couple of hours in the canopy and on the ground, was deadwooding the last tree and the very last stick of deadwood must have been their nest, about ten of them came pouring out a tiny little hole , I slid down the hitch and never got hit.

Attacked again yesterday..
Pruning a small magnolia... free climbing with hand saw about 4-5' up... got buzzed and I was on the ground in 2 seconds... only to take a closer look at tree and see a huge nest... about 6' up.. I hadn't given the tree a thorough look over before starting work... maybe I was getting complacent..
If I had cut the branch they were nested in.. I'd have gotten hit hard.. that's a bad feeling... knowing it was luck or angels that kept me safe yesterday.
God Bless All,
Daniel

Isn't that just the way..........for all the times you do a pre-climb inspection and don't find any of those bad boys,........ one time you forget and sure enough there is one.

Glad to hear that the buggers didn't get ya!

Back