Horse Loggin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does your arch have a 2speed hand winch?

it's easier when you have the forward end of the log off the ground.

Very impressive,
I have heard of Horse and oxen logging but
never seen it done. i like the no damage to
the land. Thats what scares me about having
my 92 acre lot in Maine cut.
Thanks for sharing.

Lee

Horse logging is not a no damage process but it can be much lighter on the land than other means. Look at the size of the log being skidded out of the woods by the team. The footage showed the first log, not the 50th. A forwarder may make one trip into and out of the woodlot and leave no skid trail where as the team makes 50-100 trips all dragging a log. But when conditions are right a team and a cart can really be a blessing.

Horses work well in some cases--flat ground, short distances. The one thing that I find humorous is that there was a guy horse logging on a sale I worked on. He had one horse and the ground was too muddy for a skidder so he decided to use his horse. Well, he was keeping it in a thrown together corral on the unit. The horse got lonely, broke out and trotted home one night, it was about 15 miles. So, just like people, they couldn't work the next day because the horse had been out cavorting all night and was too tired.

The team in the video looks well trained. Nice to see that.

Horse logging is not a no damage process but it can be much lighter on the land than other means. Look at the size of the log being skidded out of the woods by the team. The footage showed the first log, not the 50th. A forwarder may make one trip into and out of the woodlot and leave no skid trail where as the team makes 50-100 trips all dragging a log. But when conditions are right a team and a cart can really be a blessing.

2Dogs,

If ya wait untill the ground is frozen, the Horses win every time.;)

I hear ya on the forwarder though. I was impressed at how little damage was done at my cousins place thanks to the forwarder only making half a dozen trips through the mud. I figured it would be a bloody mess in there, but it was just two moderate ruts a backblade took care of.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Awesome, thanks for sharing. Ive seen a couple shows on tv with horse loggin. Really interesting to watch.

Those dual ports scare the horses? :clap:

2Dogs,

If ya wait untill the ground is frozen, the Horses win every time.;)

I hear ya on the forwarder though. I was impressed at how little damage was done at my cousins place thanks to the forwarder only making half a dozen trips through the mud. I figured it would be a bloody mess in there, but it was just two moderate ruts a backblade took care of.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Frozen ground? What the heck is that? A cold day here is warmer than Yooper's house with a fire going.

Thanks for that, the last horse work I saw here was about 8 years ago and still smile when I think of seeing the guy leading his horse down the valley road sat in his van with arm out of the window slowly driving and leading the horse to where he was doing first thinnings, he was keeping the horse in a field about 1/4 mile from the wood
Over here the lads still doing horse work tend to use single horse skidding timber straight on harness as it tends to be in tight wood land or first thinings in commercial spruce forestry.
Much more interest for horse work over in England and a fair bit I would imagine on the net.

Last edited:
Thanks guys hope that you all enjoyed! I will be sure to put some more stuff up when we do out next Job.:rock:

Thanks guys hope that you all enjoyed! I will be sure to put some more stuff up when we do out next Job.:rock:

FB,

Thanks for the memories. My grandfather was a teamster. He ran his team five days a week for over 50 years. I really didn't appreciate it then, but I now marvel at how much work they could do.

ole joat

FB,

Thanks for the memories. My grandfather was a teamster. He ran his team five days a week for over 50 years. I really didn't appreciate it then, but I now marvel at how much work they could do.

ole joat

Ya man you bet. glad you liked it!:cheers:

Any chance ya know the name of the show on RFDTV?

I skimmed the guide and ain't finding it.. but then I'm technochallenged.

I'd like to Record the series for my cousin the "Donkey rancher" LOL!!

Horse loggin' is nothin' but too cool!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Mule logging

I used to rabbit hunt with a WW2 vet that logged with mules
& 2 man saws in the 1940's and 1950's.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I was wondering that myself, the only show I could think of is Rural Heritage. They do a lot of draft horse work on that show.

Kyle

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The show that Tim has on RFDTV is called: "Simple Living"
His company name is Cedar River Horse Logging.

"Simple Living" Update

I did a little looking at the RFD-TV website. The schedule has it listed as Rural Heritage. But if you do a search for simple living it comes up the the next airtime.

It will be playing this Friday Nov. 27 at 2:00 PM

Hope this helps everyone that was looking for it.

Awesome website for Cedar River Logging is here.

What would be impact of horses on a suburban lawn?

Trust me when I say that they leave pretty good hoof prints in the lawn. I live across the road from Tim, and he pastures his horses at our place in the summer. When they decide to go wondering and walk though the yard, it's not pretty.

EDIT: here is a link to the website for the show.

Last edited:
Back