Hour meter on Duel Fuel OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsnyder

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a Central Boiler Duel Fuel 5036, burns propane as a backup if I don't refill it.

I was wondering if there is anyway to tell how long it runs on propane if I'm away? I was thinking like an hour meter or such. I'm really not sure how a hour meter would hook up to it, I know I have constant power to the fan when the burner is running, and was wondering if I could just hook up something to it to find out how long it runs for.

I went away for Thanksgiving, left Tuesday night and got back Thursday night. I turned down the indoor t-stat to 55, turned off the heat upstairs, filled her as full as I could, and set it to propane backup. I got back and had a few big chunks of coals left, I'm curious if the propane ever kicked on. And I'd like to know how long it needs to run a day to keep the temp of the water up.

Thanks for the help
Rob

Thanks for the reply's guys. I guess my big question was if hour meters can be hooked up inline with 110 volts. I'm assuming they have two wires out the back and it can be spliced inline with a wire that gets energized when the burner kicks on.

Something like this one will work? http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2PAR4

Do digital ones have a small battery in them that keeps the LED numbers on? Or do they require constant voltage?

Thanks
Rob

Hook a plug in clock to the fan and see if it goes anywhere. Not ideal for a number of reasons but it would work to satisfy your curiosity.

I'd give that a try, except my clocks would just flash at me - kind of like my VCRs...

I just ordered a couple of hour meters from an ebay seller. They run on 4-40 VAC or VDC. I'm going to install two of them: One to track my total heating time and the other to track the amount of propane usage. Ordered an extra one in case I want to monitor my AC usage.....

I'll just tap into the thermostat demand for the first and the gas valve for the second since each operates off the 24VAC transformer in the furnace.

Steve

Have to think old school

The motorized alarm clocks.. You set it at 12:00. If you see that it has moved, that is how many total hours of run time.. Past 12 hours you are screwed though.

Yea, but I still have to buy one of those. All my clocks are digital, just like projectsho89 said "my clocks would just flash at me - kind of like my VCRs" :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back