Hours on a chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treecutr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
is 2400 hours a lot on a chipper. Seems it to me, but since I havn't purchased one, figured I'd ask here first. It's a woodchuck w/c17, 12" chipper, looks great,just want to know if it's a too many hours.

Hours are used to set maintenance schedules 2400 hours on the motor doesn't count for much but it's the bearings that take the abuse. If they have never been replaced you might want to look into the replacement cost first. I am not familiar with woodchuck chippers but do your homework and I am sure somebody here knows.

You need to look into more than hours. The meters are easily replaced, and you cant judge by them. You need to look at the moving parts, the engine etc. I got ROBBED buying a chipper once. The guy had it looking real nice, and I even had a mechanic go through it before the purchase. EVERYTHING was messed up. Was run without a governor, bent valves etc. Spend the money on a reliable mech if you dont know your way around the machine. Trickle down compression test, pull the pto off, check the clutch, look at the grease nipples, are they painted over? look at the hydraulic rollers, are they wearing into their brackets? Is the engine original? Is it even what it's claimed to be. As said above, hour meters are there for maintenance intervals. If the machine has been well maintained, and your mech concurs, it may be a good deal. You need to do your reasearch....

2400 is no big deal.............

if it's been maintained. Like previous poster said,a good mechanic is priceless.

Woodchucks were good chippers.I believe they were bought by Altec a few years back.

I had a Brandit 150 with 2400 hrs when I bought it and it was a great machine. It was taken care of before I got it though.

Latest posts

Back