How 'bout an old Land Rover?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsrover

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is a truck I built and though I don't drive it every day I do put a fair amount of miles on it. We took it to Newfoundland and Labrador last year and are heading up to northern Quebec this summer.

It's be rebuilt from the ground up with a new Galvanized chassis, 2.4L Mercedes diesel, Toyota e-lockers front and rear, etc. It's pretty reliable and will go just about anywhere you point it.

Anyone else here with some interesting old 4x4's?

Jim

snow2.jpg

That is beautiful man! Curious question though, why the Mercedes diesel? No big Q, that is a fine rig plain and simple, nice work! :rock: :rock:

:)

As cool as these old rigs are, they do have a couple of traditionally week area. One is the motor. The original 2.25L petrol engine (or 2.25 diesel) are not very reliable nor powerful.

The 2.4L Benz engine in this truck is from an early 80's Mercedes 240D and is one of the most reliable, robust and long-living engines ever made. They can typically go 300K-500K miles before a rebuild and some more than that. They need no electricity what-so-ever to run and you can cut every wire out of the truck and it'll tick away, happy as can be. They'll burn just about anything you can dump into them from waste motor or vegetable oil to transmission fluid to olive oil and everything in between. And they never seem to break down. I'm taking this truck to Caniapiscau Quebec next summer which is 1000 miles north or Toronto and then 600 miles down a dirt road and at the end, the same 600 miles from the nearest town. Yup, that's what I said....600 miles from the nearest town!! I certainly wouldn't do that in a computer-controlled, gasoline burning vehicle.

Another weak links in these trucks are the differentials and axles, hence the Toyota centers and axles that I make and sell.

If you're interested in the build up and pictures of some of the places I've been, here's a link to my website.

http://www.seriestrek.com

Jim

Jim,
I think I've seen you post on mercedeshop forum roo, best two forums to hang out I reckon! I like LR's (got a 1963 SIIA and 1950 SI) but old MBs even more, got an early 80s 240D in my 1'75 115 myself. Must agree it's the worlds most solid reliable motor (possiblly joint with Toyota's 2H though...).

Great looking work, might one day find the time to rebuild another MB 240 I have and buy one of your adaptor plates.

Amazing rig!!! Great photo's.
I can attest to those old Mercedes diesels...have a 2.5 liter('90 300TD) and 3.0 liter ('85 300TD)...nearing 300K on the 2.5 liter.

how did I miss this thread? Very nice setup!!!

Ever spend any time over at expeditionportal dot com? EDIT: Answered my own question...

Yup, I hand out there quite a bit. Look for a story written by me about the trip we took in this truck this past summer in the Overland Journal soon. 4000 miles to the most remote place in North America, Canipiscau in the James Bay region of Quebec. Cool trip. Here's a link to some pictures: http://www.seriestrek.com/jamesbay.html

Jim,
I think I've seen you post on mercedeshop forum roo, best two forums to hang out I reckon! I like LR's (got a 1963 SIIA and 1950 SI) but old MBs even more, got an early 80s 240D in my 1'75 115 myself. Must agree it's the worlds most solid reliable motor (possiblly joint with Toyota's 2H though...).

Great looking work, might one day find the time to rebuild another MB 240 I have and buy one of your adaptor plates.

The 616 is a perfect motor for an 88" and makes for a very reliable and capable rig. I'm in the middle of building a 109 that will get a 300D turbo engine mated to an NP435 mated to a Series transfer case. Here's a picture of the progess from yesterday:

together3.jpg

jim

Nice set up. Perfect choice for the engine. I know I still work on them. Some are 30+ years old and run like a top!
I am working on a g-wagon cabriolet for a off road rig. Hard to beat the front, center, and rear locking diff.

Thanks, Chuck. Great motors, aren't they? The 616 has been flawless and pushes the little 88" around pretty well.

This engine is going in a 109". 617 turbo.

Ain't lockers cool? The 88" has 4:56 Toyota E-lockers stuffed in the Rover housings. The 109" is getting 4:10 Toyota E-lockers.

http://www.seriestrek.com/toyotadiffs.html

Thanks again.

jim

Yup, I hand out there quite a bit. Look for a story written by me about the trip we took in this truck this past summer in the Overland Journal soon. 4000 miles to the most remote place in North America, Canipiscau in the James Bay region of Quebec. Cool trip. Here's a link to some pictures: http://www.seriestrek.com/jamesbay.html

I saw that stuff on your site - cool stuff!

I'm going to try to get up there (James Bay + Trans Taiga) in 2008. I'd like to get up there this winter before they complete the water diversion program they were planning on doing in 2008 and the rivers dry up. I'd prefer to roll up there with other folks, especially in the winter, but we'll see. There are a couple other Michigan ExPo guys who have expressed an interest in doing some group travels, so maybe a group trip up there can be made to work. If I end up doing the trip, and especially if it is a solo trip, watch out - I'll be picking your brain beyond what is included in Overland Journal!

Funny how small a world it is, ya know - wonder what the odds are that there would be multiple ExPo members/OJ subscribers on AS.

Last edited:
I don't think they're taking the Rupert until '09, but I could be wrong. But by all means, get up there before it's gone.

If you need any info, don't be afraid to ask. It's still pretty fresh in my head and I can help you with whatever info you might need. Like the fact that there's only one SAQ in Raddison!

What are you driving up there?

jim

Dam_Crossing.jpg

I'd be taking the Jeep TJ. I'm sure it would be fine for the trip as-is, mechanically. My only concern is fuel consumption - at 13mpg highway, my stock tank will not do much more than 200 miles and often is on E a lot earlier than that, so I'd absolutely need to carry extra fuel for the TT portion. I'd rather not do a bumper/jerrycan holder/swingout tire carrier setup since it would be extra weight and bulk for everyday use, but it seems like the only good solution short of towing an M416 (or an AT Horizon, if I win the raffle...).

I have thought of fabricating a trailer for a trip like this and for camping with the wife and 3 dogs, but I already have one trailer and can barely fit the jeep and the wife's car and that trailer (turned sideways) on our driveway as is. As I understand it, though, an M416 with the milspec non-directional tires would fit inside my current trailer with .5" in width to spare.

In its current state, though, the Jeep is plenty adequate for anything I encounter on Michigan trails and is pleasant enough on the highway at 80mph. It would really benefit from OME heavy suspension all around, considering how much towing it sees, so I might finally do that this winter/spring, depending on how the $$$ situation looks.

Last edited:
145jeepfront.jpg

145jeeprear1.jpg

1965 Kaiser/Jeep CJ5.
Ford 302
Ford T-18
Dana 18 transfer case w/ Warn OverDrive
Dana 44 front/rear w/ 4.27, welded rear, lsd front
bouncy 4" lift w/ revolvers front/rear
34x9.50x15 TSL Swampers that i grooved/siped with my heated knife
Warn 8k winch.

weakness of 240D and 300D MB engines are the timing chains. they just about won't wear out, but timing chains will stretch. this is compounded by length of timing chain.

used to sell import auto parts, years ago. sold a ton of engine overhaul parts for 240D and 300D. most of all timing chains. most were at 150k+ miles. timing gears and guides would wear too.

used to sell a butt load of glow pugs for these mtr too.
240D and 300D in non turbo versions were really slow...

long time toyota landcruiser owner here... FJ60
finally made switch to cummins turbo diesel 4x4 truck. FJ 60 has not been driven for a year now. hate to sell FJ 60.... but it past time.

As cool as these old rigs are, they do have a couple of traditionally week area. One is the motor. The original 2.25L petrol engine (or 2.25 diesel) are not very reliable nor powerful.

The 2.4L Benz engine in this truck is from an early 80's Mercedes 240D and is one of the most reliable, robust and long-living engines ever made. They can typically go 300K-500K miles before a rebuild and some more than that. They need no electricity what-so-ever to run and you can cut every wire out of the truck and it'll tick away, happy as can be. They'll burn just about anything you can dump into them from waste motor or vegetable oil to transmission fluid to olive oil and everything in between. And they never seem to break down. I'm taking this truck to Caniapiscau Quebec next summer which is 1000 miles north or Toronto and then 600 miles down a dirt road and at the end, the same 600 miles from the nearest town. Yup, that's what I said....600 miles from the nearest town!! I certainly wouldn't do that in a computer-controlled, gasoline burning vehicle.

Another weak links in these trucks are the differentials and axles, hence the Toyota centers and axles that I make and sell.

If you're interested in the build up and pictures of some of the places I've been, here's a link to my website.

Jim

Last edited:

Can you please contact me? I need to ask you about something that's off-topic for this thread. PM or Email (email is best) Thanks a lot!

That old Rover is AWESOME!! After a few years when my life settles down a bit, I really want to get a Series II or III! :clap:

This would be what I learned to wheel in:

img3275mediumwb1.jpg

My most recent LR that sadly I'm having to sell :cry:

img1779medium9ya.jpg

For now I'm stuck with the jeep

img5680rd2.jpg

Is that a series II or III? Nice one. I know all too well the work it takes to set one up and keep it running.

I was into Land Rovers for many years. Had a limited edition 1991 Great Divide Edition Range Rover with all the off-road package stuff, as well as a lot of add-ons. I used to go on a lot of trips with the Northern and Southern California and Oregon Land Rover clubs, and the online Mendo-Recce group. No longer. I got too tired of always fixing that thing. I gave up when Famous-4 in the UK refused to send me parts to the US any more. I even had an address in Scotland for them to mail the stuff to, but then they refused to sell anything ordered from the US. US parts are absurdly priced.

So I sold it in '99 and bought a new Toyota Tundra 4x4 PU with EVERYTHING. Actually the Toyota will go anywhere that the Rangie would. And it runs and runs and runs, and has broken down very few times. I have 125k miles on it now. I will post some shots of my off-roading days in the Rangie. And some of the Toyota. Here is one of my brother and I on the Rubicon Trail in California in his Tomb Raider Limited Edition Jeep. We actually did the Rubicon in his stock Jeep... mistake, but we managed to get through. He now has 33 inch tires, a winch, air compressor, another lift, yadda yadda.

Damn thing will not take a 330mb photo... sorry. I will have to crop it in photoshop.

nice Rover. I always liked them. Cool rigs. All those Jeep pics should be on the "how about some Jeeps" thread. Nice rig Puteruser. I'm partial to Jeeps. My son and I need to start working on his Wrangler soon. He'll be 15 shortly, gotta have it trail ready.

don't be sucking up all the toyota axles!

Jim

:greenchainsaw: i have heard of this for a while.they are good pieces.i wish someone would make an adapter to put on in a 1st gen toyota truck.

Latest posts

Back