How 'bout an old Land Rover?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim,where do you get those thirds?

i have been looking for some for the 8 inch toyota axle housing.front needs to be high pinion..

i have been looking for some for the 8 inch toyota axle housing.front needs to be high pinion..

Oh, they're around. The two I bought for the 88" are new from Toyota but I'm building a 109 right now and I got those diffs from Ding's in Litchfield. Expect to pay around $400 a piece for the e-lockers. The high-pinion front out of a Land Cruiser are a little less common but still fairly easy to find. 4:10 gears are the most common too.

jim

i'll try and get ahold of them.that's good price.

i should be able to get decent money for my thirds.they're open but have 4.88s and the front is a hi pinion.i didn't want to spend money on the auto lockers when i knew i would eventually get e lockers.nice work.i'd like to get down your way someday and see your trucks.

Going to stir up a hornets nest now lol
if we go out shooting foxes with the lamp we take the hilux not the landrover.
Yes the landrover will go places the hilux wont
but the hilux is comfy to drive the steering wheel and pedals are not where you have to drive it side saddle ie you can drive it without your arm out of the window! the doors seal it has really good lights the heater will dry your eyeballs its so powerfull and its better on fuel
thats a 2006 landie v a 2003 hilux
the hilux is way cheaper as well

But it doesn't look like this:

TorqueOmata1545.jpg

Woodsrover, how does that trip compare to

going out to Inuvik on the dempster? (Other than being a little farther on the gravel?)

Any ferry rides to cross rivers??

Thanks, Dempster Dave In Dago.

WTH is eagle Plains? LOL

Campbell, Canol, Dempster, haul road, and the Vizcaino Peninsula.

Long live Dirt and gravel for highway distances! RIP the almost paved Cassiar hwy.

The trip in Quebec was great. Not a lot of people and lots of open space. The next two trips I'll take are all the way around Lake Superior, may this summer, may next. After that the third leg of the Trans-Labrador Highway should be done and I'll do the trip up to Happy Valley/Goose Bay and back down through Newfoundland. After these two I'll start heading out west again. At least a trip up to Fairbanks and down to Anchorage is on the short list!

jim

The trip in Quebec was great. Not a lot of people and lots of open space. The next two trips I'll take are all the way around Lake Superior, may this summer, may next. After that the third leg of the Trans-Labrador Highway should be done and I'll do the trip up to Happy Valley/Goose Bay and back down through Newfoundland. After these two I'll start heading out west again. At least a trip up to Fairbanks and down to Anchorage is on the short list!

jim

A trip around lake superior, eh?

Well, if you end up rolling through the lower peninsula, I'd love to check out the LR. Otherwise maybe coordinating an ExPo get together in the UP would be in order...

We'll probably head around counter-clockwise from Ontario, (My wife's folks live south of North Bay) and go to Thunder Bay and down to Duluth, then take the south shore back towards the Soo. But a bit of off-roading in the UP sounds great to me. Never been there so I'm looking forward to it. We may even do it this year in the 88". If not, it'll be next year in the new 109.

Stay tuned!

jim

We'll probably head around counter-clockwise from Ontario, (My wife's folks live south of North Bay) and go to Thunder Bay and down to Duluth, then take the south shore back towards the Soo. But a bit of off-roading in the UP sounds great to me. Never been there so I'm looking forward to it. We may even do it this year in the 88". If not, it'll be next year in the new 109.

Stay tuned!

jim

Those are cool I have a 72 bronco with a good lift rebuilt 302 and auto,
it will go anywhere I want it to but mostly use for fun! The diesel mod
sounds like the thing to do with the miles on the Mercedes your claiming
it would make a rig indestructible.

LRs

Ive got 2 defenders and thats all I'd drive over here.

Fuel is extremely expensive but not half as bad as it was a while back and parts are easily obtainable and cheap.

Hope you like?

H

Ive got 2 defenders and thats all I'd drive over here.

Fuel is extremely expensive but not half as bad as it was a while back and parts are easily obtainable and cheap.

Hope you like?

H

Welcome to AS
Im guessing your under 5'8 if you can drive a landie in comfort(I use the word comfort in as comfy as a bed of nails) lol
I must say the Land Rover is the most un-ergonomic 4x4 ever but they will go places no other 4x4 will look at(apart from a Suzuki SJ)
Have you ever sat in a Santana? the driving position is spot on! Shame about the leaf springs Grr
Im not a fan of the landie im afraid. But i can see their appeal.
If they would just make the darn thing so your knees were not around your neck and move the steering wheel and controls a little to the left and upgraded the lights and heater they would be on a winner.

I sent the guy that posted the pic some rep and asked was the landi parked or broken down, Im still waiting for a reply lol

woodsrover.... what do you do about those wonderful lucas electronics?

God I want an old series II or III... :(

You sure about that? Old man Lucas has you mind warped.

I had a Rangie Great Divide edition for many years. I ran with a Land Rover group in Norther Cal. and another here in Oregon. Lots of Series, Discos, and Rangies in the mix. The Rangie was a nice rig, but what a PITA to work on and get parts for. Always breaking down. The last straw was when Famous 4 in the UK would not send me parts any more (they cut a deal with Land Rover USA). Never regretted selling it and getting my Toyota Tundra 4WD. :)

yup... there's a hole .... I do miss my FJ-60... finally got up the nerve to sell her 6 months ago.... the first person that called jumped all over it.

had FJ-60 for 15+ years ... she was really well taken care of. did loads of preventative maintenance... like replacing alternator, water pump, brake master cylinder, etc... long before it needed it. did a high end paint job 3-4 years back... spent 150+ hours doing it right.... spent $500+ for paint materials alone. skim coated it... FJ-60 was really straight with paint far better than new.

original plans was to put a diesel in FJ-60.....too many projects.. never got to it. after I got my Cummins diesel truck... FJ-60 basically sat... it was past time to let someone else enjoy!!!

I sold my FJ 55 about 12 years ago. I still feel like I'm missing one of my children. :(

Well I've got a LR S1, SIIA, and landcruiser HJ47 and spent many many hours in HJ60s and HZJ75s, and limited experience with friends defenders (TD5 and 300tdi). After doing a lot of work on all of them, I can safely say although the land rovers have a soft spot in my heart the landcruisers piss all over them.

Never break down, everything's much more heavy duty, engines under stressed (bigger) and electronics more logical. They also didn't sell them selves out by going coil sprung (trading comfort for durability). And don't get me started on the level of electronics in them when the good old HZJ75s were still basic as can be.

The SIIA still works getting fire wood but I'm still needing to get the S1 back on the road. Nice old 80" - a reall stunner when together ;)

Sure would love an SIIA with an OM616 in it though - just sold my '75 MB 240D. After 180000 miles the motor still felt perfect and I got 40+ MPG. I'd love to have a go in the OP's one. Bit far but...

Gotta run off right now but I'll post more later. Good to see some other Land Rover owners here.

For now, here's a picture of the truck I just got done building this fall. Powered by a Mercedes 617 turbo diesel, NP435 tranny and Toyota electric-locking centers.

done2.jpg

Gotta run off right now but I'll post more later. Good to see some other Land Rover owners here.

For now, here's a picture of the truck I just got done building this fall. Powered by a Mercedes 617 turbo diesel, NP435 tranny and Toyota electric-locking centers.

done2.jpg

Almost nice:)
I like the twin sets of headlights! Those sealed units were a bit lame on every landrover ive ever been in. We used the roof mounted shooting lamp way more than the headlights.

Latest posts

Back