How can I get this thing off!!??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roosterhog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How do I get that snap type ring off my old Homelite XL that holds the clutch drum on? My other XL has a nut like everything else, but this one (it's a 1977 year model) has what I think is called a captive ring. You are supposed to be able to spread the thing out to get it out of the groove. I have fought this thing for hours. Tried to pry it apart by twisting screw drivers in it, grinding down some picks to make custom tools, and even modified some snap ring pliers but no luck. The space in the ring is really tiny as you can see from the pic. Help please! I need to get in there and grease that bearing.DSCF6644.JPG

Looks like I would tap a lil flat screwdriver in there and twist . I would also have a magnet against it or you will be playing the worst game of hide and seek ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knobby57: I have tried and tried with screwdrivers - even grinded some down to somehow fit better. All I got was despair.

I've run into that type of circlip in other mechanical applications,the guy who invented it should be shot,and I'm sure while you've struggled with it you'd agree haha. Usually you have to destroy the clip to get it off,they are generally meant to be replaced after removal. So check first if you can get another original,otherwise get a good replacement snap ring form an auto supply,Industrial supply or whatever. Then you're free to force it ,twist it off,sometimes use a sharp Flatblade type screwdriver,and try to drive it under the middle if the ring with a light hammer..(Also try 2 pliers,one twisting up,the other down.) Bottom line is it will come off easier if you're not being gentle and trying to save it,of course don't damage the groove it sits in.
It's one of those jobs that-(Quoting Gordon Jennings)-"Can drive strong men to weeping"
Good luck,you'll get it off.;)

How do I get that snap type ring off my old Homelite XL that holds the clutch drum on? My other XL has a nut like everything else, but this one (it's a 1977 year model) has what I think is called a captive ring. You are supposed to be able to spread the thing out to get it out of the groove. I have fought this thing for hours. Tried to pry it apart by twisting screw drivers in it, grinding down some picks to make custom tools, and even modified some snap ring pliers but no luck. The space in the ring is really tiny as you can see from the pic. Help please! I need to get in there and grease that bearing.View attachment 339487

I have removed many different type snap rings but not one like you have.
From the looks of the setup, I would guess it is a one time application. It appears to be installed by expansion from the tapered shaft--no special plies required.
The only way I can personally see how it could be removed , is to clamp with vice grips in a way that you can spread the gap with a small chisel or screwdriver by tapping with a hammer. The vice grips should be placed as close as possible to the ring gap and the other jaw will clamp on the opposite side and keep the ring from spinning.
If the snap ring is made of spring steel, this should spread the gap a small amount.
Just a wild suggestion, I have no idea if it will work.
If it were me, I would replace with a regular external snap ring.

You must have been a budist monk in your past life. In pretty sure I would have been ordering replacment parts by now

Yes,you want to replace it with an external type snap ring for future ease of r&r. But unless you've actually tried it,they can be incredibly frustrating to remove,imagine if Stihl or Husky used these clips instead of the standard e-clip to hold the sprocket on!

You have to pry it off from the back on just one end then work your way around it using two screw drivers.Like has been said you will most likely stretch it and bend it getting it off but sometimes my way you can reuse them.....sometimes not.

Thanks guys. I dremmelled that sucker off. Had to completely remove the motor from the casing to get the cutting wheel to it, but I have gotten NASCAR pit crew fast at that lately because I have been into that little saw so many times lately. Glad I did. The grease in the drum bearing was really in bad shape. Also, the clutch was just covered in old grease so all that needed to be cleaned up.

I ordered a couple of spare clips that are the actual Homelite part just like the one I cut off. But rest assured...I will be trying to find a same size snap ring so it can be more easily removed.

Thanks guys. That little clip had wrecked me emotionally.

It would probable tick you off to watch me snap it off with a couple of screw drivers ...it is easier after you do it a few dozen times....lol

Glad you got it done anyway.

A year or so ago I had one and did actually manage to get the thing off and back on. I don't think I have ever done something so simple that was so frustrating. Not easy to get off at all.

I was to cheap to buy a new ring so I fought it. Hind sight it would have been worth several of them rings to have just cut it off in the first place.

Back