How cold is it today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like The Woods!

Like The Woods!

ArboristSite Member
It was -25 F last night. Coldest day so far this winter -51F for the overnight low and -40 for the high that day. Not even close to a record or even a "very cold day". By US Weather bureau definition, " a very cold day" for this region is one for which the high is not warmer than -45 F. Given global warming, "very cold days" are now pretty rare and overall this has been yet another much warmer than "normal" winter.

I have experienced -60F in the Adirondaks. Don't wana do that again. This was in a place that was noted for cold. Years ago the Army would test their cold weather gear there.

This morning at 6:30 was -16F, and the monster harvester that I have working here started better than my pick-me-up truck. I think that harvester puts out enough to power a small city. That thing sounds like I have a B-52 in my woods.

Bret4207

Bret4207

ArboristSite Guru
Yesterday it was about 0F and no wind. Cut a bunch of dead red oak and had the boys splitting. Had to take the splitter to the shop and turn the salamander on it for a while to get it to start. Honda engine, must have been a bit of moisture in there someplace. I tried out my new/used Husky 365 with 16" bar. Good runner, but I need at least a 20" bar. Went back and got the Sachs Dolmar 133 with 24" bar. Monster saw! Brought out 2 big skids for today. Naturally the boys, who complained about the heat when Dad wanted to do wood in the summer, are really unhappy at 0F.

Today is +5F and 20-30mph wind. Gonna be fun today! BTW- when I lived in the Central Adirondacks, before moving to the flatlands, we had 6 weeks where it never got over 0F and we had -50F for a while. Thats tough living.

omegajim

omegajim

ArboristSite Guru
PWB

Old cast can crack all the way around the pipe, doesn't take much to aggravate a pipe that's been corroding in the ground for 50 years or so, even less for the older stuff.

Oddly enough, I can verify this in the strangest of ways. The small town I went to college in was expanding and part of the project was a second water tower. Well, the additional pressure of the second tower was enough to have the public works guys jumping all over the place replacing a section here, a section there. It would have been worse but the 2nd tower came into service early summer so nearly everything was patched by fall.

Oddly enough, didn't recall seeing any burst mains over that first winter.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
About minus eight celsius here, it has been pretty "warm" since we had about minus thirty in october......:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

.. but lots of snow the last days.....:pumpkin2: :pumpkin2:

keith c raymond

keith c raymond

ArboristSite Operative
We have a mix of pipe in our system,Cement -Asbestos,cast and ductile iron,and white and blue plastic.The majority of the leaks are on the cement asb. pipe,as it has no flex appeal at all to deal with the frost and shifting earth.

MikeInParadise

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
So is it cold enough where you are to do this!!!!

My wife just emailed me this video link, It is on the island but about 500 kms west of where I live.

I bet not too many of you have seen ice do this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6JLzOHJzbU

I am getting tired of this!!! 3rd storm in 7 days is starting as I type this!

Pic of 2nd storm...We had wind gust over 100kmh
it packed the snow completely under the truck and even in 4wd I could not
get it to move after clearing the snow around it.

I ended up having to pull it out with a come-along attached to my other vehicle!

PITA!!!

attachment.php

omegajim

omegajim

ArboristSite Guru
Somebody from Georgia should be speaking up, they got all the way down to 40 F, they oughta be in near panic by now.

In other news, down to about 8 F here around Milwaukee. Keeps the bugs down.

PWB

ArboristSite Guru
We have a mix of pipe in our system,Cement -Asbestos,cast and ductile iron,and white and blue plastic.The majority of the leaks are on the cement asb. pipe,as it has no flex appeal at all to deal with the frost and shifting earth.

One of the systems I work on was installed in '95, all Blue Brute (blue plastic)
The other is mostly about 30 years old (thinner white plastic) with some asbestos cement left ove from an older "fire only" system. I think we've replaced most of that in the last 3 or 4 years, maps show some cast but we're pretty sure it's all been replaced.
They have more trouble in the older towns in the system, lots of cast and ductile.
(In 1998 we amalgamated 23 municipalities into one, basically the whole county including the city in the middle, one tier government)

Haywire Haywood

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
It's 16F/-8C here this morning, supposed to get down to -5F here early next week. Too cold for me. For cutting firewood, I like it around 40-45F.

Ian

Latest posts