How deep on sideplate when sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlgotwood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I sharpen my chains on a grinder and want to know how deep do you guys go on the sideplate? Do you grind down to just above the drive links?

Also, after you have ground a chain a few times do you smooth or clean out the gullet? It seems that after a few sharpenings the gullet seems to get a series of high and low spots or a ripple from the tooth to the raker.

On square ground you want the two angles to meet perfectly. I usually take gullets out after more than you mentioned, but it deepends on how much you "hog" out when grinding too.

Make sure that you clean out the gullet pretty often - otherwise I know very little about mashine sharpening - a simple file is better, when you know how to use it, except for rocked out chain.

Sounds like you might not be using the right size wheel or are taking off too much tooth in a single pass. full size 3/8 tooth requires a 3/16 wheel if you use a 1/8 wheel like many try to do you will end up with the bumps in the gullett

as far as depth dont grind into the driver or tie straps but get close

Scott

+1 Grind down to the strap and use a hand file to keep the gullets open for good chip clearance. I use a 'large' round file when cleaning up the gullets, saves time and doesn't waste my sharpening files.

Back