How did you choose your company name?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Directly from the Minneapolis big yellow book:

Aaspen Tree Service In the display add he claims "grad in forestry from U of MN" then lists topping...hmmmm

The list starts with five A or A1 companies.

A Tree Service I crossed paths with this guy a couple of times. The first was at a trade show where he was peddling Amzoil. I asked him what he did for a living. He told me tree work. Then I asked him the name of his company, a tree service. I had to ask him three times before I realized that was the name, not what he did. I split a gut :)
All About Trees
Big Tree Removal Company I have to wonder how small they work
Canopy Tree Care That must be a hack :)
Cut Above Tree Company
Fritz's Excavating Tree & Snow Service The shotgun approach to business
Enchanted Forests
Reliable Tree Service "Trim, Top, Remove"
Tall Timber

Originally posted by Tom Dunlap
Aaspen Tree Service In the display add he claims "grad in forestry from U of MN" then lists topping...hmmmm

Shows to go ya what good forestry ed is for arbo. NC State's spring course catalog has no arbo in it but a smidge of patho and ento. Yet to be an "urban forester" in NC you need a degree from that dept.:alien:
the hort dept has a course "Tree and Grounds MTC" that spends about 2 hours on trees.TH-th-th-that's all, folks!

OK rborist 1, your trees are bigger than ours. You can stop rubbing it in now:(, I'm totally green w envy but I ain't moving out to RainLand to work w em.

Raleigh YP has 82 tree svc listings and 4 arborist listings.
Which gets the highest quality calls?
Gosh, ya think?:eek:

I too wanted to avoid the stereotypical "Bobbies Tree Service" when I started out. I wanted something that communicated a bit more sophistication and professionalism. I went with Heartland Arbor Services.

But like Nathan said: it is more about who you are vs. your name. I agree that a "good" name can stick with people, especially as they drive by or see you around town. However, almost 100% of my business (albeit, I am a small operator) comes from referrals.

There is a big company here in Dallas that has a very good reputation and a cool name... I would love to work for them some day. Some of you probably know them: Arborilogical Services. Top quality service and all professional. Check em out.

Arborilogical is a great co. Not only do they promote themselves, they promote arborists. I have always thought that is a great sales point. Unlike Davey here in Austin. They pretty much tell customers that ONLY Davey knows anything - everyone else is just a hack.

Don't knock the AAAAAAAfordable Tree Care guys. I know some that do very good. It is not for my biz model. Heck, I would be ZZZZZZZZZZZZ Tree Care. I hate the YP's and YP calls.

I used to be in the YP out of some desire for legitimacy until I took a look at the companies that are also in there and how the YPs treat their customers. If being lumped with those hacks and giving $$ to those A-holes gives me legitimacy, then I don't want it.

"we've got a co here called "Mr. Green Jeans". "

We have a local guy (actually bought the name from someone getting out of the biz) and he goes by "George of the Jungle" with a swinging monkey on the side of his truck. Catchy name but he is good at no-shows, and is really a hack logger (not even a good logger) w/ a bucket truck.

I named my company Mellen Brook Land Clearing, but then I don't real "care" or "service" trees, just knock em down.;) Work by referal so the yellow pages hasn't been an issue for me.

LMAO!! That was a funny site. Click on Tom F... it has a pic.. :laugh:

My company name is Vertical Perfections.
It took me some time to think of it, I too didn't want the typical "John's Tree care"
While Vertical perfections is a mouthful to some I have received many compliments from clients about my name. I am however sometimes suprised at how people cannot spell either word correctly. But once they know the name they never forget it. Of coarse im almost dead last in any alphabetical listing, but as far as i can tell it hasn't hindered business at all.
Tom mentions some interesting names from our local yps, one of the funniest I think "Western Tree Service"-- shows a little cookie lookin cowboy sayin "We'll shoot ya a heck of a deal":rolleyes:
I bet they get tons of quality leads from that ad:D

The best name for a tree service that i can think of belongs to a reputable arbo here in the TC... "Living Sculture Tree and Shrub care" to me that is the best ive heard yet.

When I first started out in tree work 12 years ago, i worked for a company called " The tree trimmers" simple and to the point, not very original but man i bet he got twice as many pruning calls as the other companies.....too bad the pruning was second rate:p

regarding yps headings placing your ad under arborist sounds a bit risky to me my fear would be that you would miss so many calls because 90% of people dont even know what an arborist is, until puplic awareness is brought up I would stick to the tree service heading, or you could do both if money grows on trees for you.

Originally posted by tophopper
placing your ad under arborist sounds a bit risky to me my fear would be that you would miss so many calls because 90% of people dont even know what an arborist is
I'd say it's more like 70% here, which is fine because the 30% who do know what an arborist is value their trees enough to invest wisely in them. They're far less likely to be price shoppers or PITA's, and much more likely to have the $$ to make good things happen:).
But then my area is the 2nd-most educated in the USA, over 48% of adults have their bachelor's degree. If I worked elsewhere, arborist listing may not work as well. But here I'd be nuts to join the mosh pit with 82 tree svcs; "arborist" is the best filter of worthless calls.;)
YP here gives a free listing elsewhere with the one you buy, so I still have a minimal listing w tree svc.

I see in MN the state silviculturist says topping is ok if you slant the cuts; you're obviously in ignoramus-land up there:rolleyes:
A guy in GA had a shirt on that said "Arborist"; the check-out guy at the store told him he should stop killing babies. If you want to cater to that kind of customer, you gotta stay with tree svc.

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur

I see in MN the state silviculturist says topping is ok if you slant the cuts; you're obviously in ignoramus-land up there:rolleyes:

A guy in GA had a shirt on that said "Arborist"; the check-out guy at the store told him he should stop killing babies. If you want to cater to that kind of customer, you gotta stay with tree svc. [/B]

Interesting , I was not aware of the topping statement, regardless, we up here are not as "ignormamus" as you may think. True there are plenty of hacks, but where in the world aren't there? thanks for the compliment though.

Yea Ive heard the abortionist bit before, sounds like something someone from Georgia would say. ;)
I cater to mostly high end clients, to imply that running with tree service heading is vastly superior to an arborist listing is BS. Although arborist may not be what they look for in the yps, they know they need help with their trees, hence a tree service listing. I am very good at educating my clients about proper arboriculture, this is why I land more work than "two guys w a saw" because i know what im doing and it shows. My point was simply that there is currently not an arbo heading in the book, it would be risky to ask for a new heading, not knowing how many people would even bother looking. I am an arborist and a good one at that, I care for trees, and when people need help with trees they look under tree in the book. My ad IMHO is the best in the book, so naturally I get better quality calls than the other Joes.
Maybe someday, an arbo heading will be available, then I may consider switching, but for now I do just fine where Im at.
FYI- I land lots of jobs because im the only Certified Arborist listed in my yps and everyone else just does tree work. :cool:
Additonally, i cater to all kinds of clients, their money all spends the same.

Anything else?

Yeah ! Nice ad J Sir.
I kind of answered this on the logo thread before I read this one. I started long ago with the typical "Scott's Tree Service" When I moved my business I changed to "Justin Scott-Tree Surgeon" One truck has "Justin Scott, Tree and Shrub Care" on the magnetic signs. Neither is really an assumed name, rather a title and a description of services. I used to use "Arborist" on my cards but got tired of the confusion. Tree surgeon clicks with people but elevates me above the "wild man with a chainsaw" category.

there is currently not an arbo heading in the book, it would be risky to ask for a new heading,

Then don't ask for one, Demand one! the YP folks are there to sell ads. The more headings there are, the more ads they can sell. Get it? When first-time callers say they need an arborist not a tree service, I know they will let me do what's right for them and their trees without interfering much.

If I was full-time depending on the yp for biz calls, I would still get enough to make it. Raleigh does not have more smart tree owners than the TC does it? You all underestimate the public's awareness of arborists, much of which is thanks to ISA--hint to Rocky:)

Still, with an ad like yours, and the professional wherewithal that created it and backs it, you might not need to change. All that color must cost you a bundle tho--how much a month?

I love the "Prompt Consultations" line tho--SO much better than "Free Estimates"--yucko. And the guy-in-a-tree logo is cool--I used to use one when I had a ts ad.

And hey my jab at MN was just in fun--w you and TD up there we know you're not behind the average. Every state has doofuses crawling out of forestry school and spouting nonsense on behalf of the govt. It's our role imo to gently guide them away from treesin.

Still, with an ad like yours, and the professional wherewithal that created it and backs it, you might not need to change. All that color must cost you a bundle tho--how much a month?

I love the "Prompt Consultations" line tho--SO much better than "Free Estimates"--yucko. And the guy-in-a-tree logo is cool--I used to use one when I had a ts ad.

And hey my jab at MN was just in fun--w you and TD up there we know you're not behind the average. Every state has doofuses crawling out of forestry school and spouting nonsense on behalf of the govt. It's our role imo to gently guide them away from treesin. [/B]

Guy,
to answer your question of how much, this year the ad has been down sized to 1/4 page-costs me roughly 450. bucks per month, last year was basically the same ad but larger, 1/2 page I was paying over 800. per month-- ouch. I decided this year to downsize because I want to trim out some expenses this year whereever possible. The same ad w no color would run about half of either of the above mentioned costs.
I do realize your comments about MN were not a personal attack on me or Tom or MN- it just read a little harshly when I saw it, plus I was in a foul mood at that time-- for that I apologize, Im sorry

The reason I chose my company name, is not just because it's my name - M. D. Vaden (Mario Dennis Vaden).

I noticed that some of the easiest names to remember were names on trucks that had two initials:

J. C. Higgans
K. T. Watkins
M. C. Hammer
Etc.

So that's why I picked my name. Not even because it sounds like MD, even though my friends call me that as a nickname.

I still hold the registration for an assumed business name from years ago - New Leaf Landscape. But I decided to change the name on my second attempt in business.

, this year the ad has been down sized to 1/4 page-costs me roughly 450. bucks per month, last year was basically the same ad but larger, 1/2 page I was paying over 800. per month-- ouch.
So you went from $9600/year, $27/day to $5400/year, $15/ every single day.

That's stilla pile of money to my eyes. When I downsized I looked hard at the advertising budget and went for alternatives to YP. For $5/ day I can send out 25 isa or nadf brochures.

It's a great ad tho; it must sell discriminationg clients on your biz before they even talk to you.

That's stilla pile of money to my eyes. When I downsized I looked hard at the advertising budget and went for alternatives to YP. For $5/ day I can send out 25 isa or nadf brochures.

Yes it is still a bit of money, but when pursuing new clients sending out brochures just wont do it. You could for that cost maybe mail out 25-75 brochures, but what kind of return do you get? I dont know about you but Id rather get 25 calls per day than mail out 25 brochures and maybe get a 1-5% return.
I use the brochures as an additional selling point when I write the bids. Im pretty sure noone else around here gives them out.

When you mail out brochures or drop flyers the return is low because in a sense you are merely tickling people into thinking about their trees-When someone looks into the yps they have already decided they need tree work, just havent found who will do it. They are usually ready to purchase

So you went from $9600/year, $27/day to $5400/year, $15/ every single day.

Additionally, 15 bucks a day is not bad, on a good selling day I will write from 10-15 estimates, selling 50% or better-with a sold dollar amount of $1200-5000.00. Well worth it in my eyes, my crew (wife and me) will produce anywhere from 700.(the lowest) up to 2000 or more

Besides I know people that will spend 15 bucks a day easy just for lunch money or whatever. I put it where i will get some return.

You have spend money to make money;)

Latest posts

Back