How do Huskys compare to Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spacemule

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
Generally the last two digits designate the approximate displacement of the saw in mm. Example; the 266 is 66 cubic mm. and the 280 is 80 cubic mm. However there are exceptions...example; the 3120 is 120 cubic mm.

Actually, in this case it is cubic cm, not mm. 66 cubic mm would be one small saw indeed--2/3s of one tenth of one cc.

Last edited:
Peacock

Peacock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Not the same degree of POS - much better air filtration and anti-vibe, but still far too heavy for the power..........:buttkick: :laugh: :laugh: :blob2: :blob2:

I have personally used both. I even owned an MS310...the 455 is much crappier. Has to be the poorest handling saw I've ever used.

This may sound funny from a 441 owner, but who cares about subtle differences in antivibe on $3-400 chainsaws anyhow? How does power to weight matter that much on these HOMEOWNER saws either?

stckciv

stckciv

ArboristSite Operative
At least with the 455 I can undo 3 screws, take off the top cover and brush off around the cylinder fins. How long does it take you on the 290?

Mtnman4ever

Mtnman4ever

ArboristSite Operative
I have personally used both. I even owned an MS310...the 455 is much crappier. Has to be the poorest handling saw I've ever used.

This may sound funny from a 441 owner, but who cares about subtle differences in antivibe on $3-400 chainsaws anyhow? How does power to weight matter that much on these HOMEOWNER saws either?

I do n't know eventually you wil care abpoutanti vibe stuff i hve / had deQuerviens a painful condtion that casues your hand to claw up very painfullf from using saws alot .
the 455 rancher , .Not a bad saw for under 400 . Ok it is a little hefty handles well enough thn Iamsued ot Big saws . but it is not a POS . Just a god all around saw . My neighbor got one on my rcomedation nad isahppy with it . ok it is not th ligtest thing around but for the pirece it beats a green sasw from wal mart any day
i have noit had a proble mwith it that matters more than CC and all that stuff in th end it cuts cuts fastrer than the 290 and cost less nota ful hog either . I never got why Stihl even made the 290 mde no marketing sense to me

speaking of sawc numbers why is huskly suddnely changing numbers? the 575 is the replacemnt for the 372 so are thre more to come my guess is the 385 will be a 585next or so and the 390, -590 395 -595? 3120- 5120 ? i notced they now havea 460 and the1 what ever . just my 02

Last edited:
chowdozer

chowdozer

Addicted to ArboristSite
I do n't know eventually you wil care abpoutanti vibe stuff i hve / had deQuerviens a painful condtion that casues your hand to claw up very painfullf from using saws alot .
the 455 rancher , .Not a bad saw for under 400 . Ok it is a little hefty handles well enough thn Iamsued ot Big saws . but it is not a POS . Just a god all around saw . My neighbor got one on my rcomedation nad isahppy with it . ok it is not th ligtest thing around but for the pirece it beats a green sasw from wal mart any day
i have noit had a proble mwith it that matters more than CC and all that stuff in th end it cuts cuts fastrer than the 290 and cost less nota ful hog either . I never got why Stihl even made the 290 mde no marketing sense to me

speaking of sawc numbers why is huskly suddnely changing numbers? the 575 is the replacemnt for the 372 so are thre more to come my guess is the 385 will be a 585next or so and the 390, -590 395 -595? 3120- 5120 ? i notced they now havea 460 and the1 what ever . just my 02

Ummm, you got your encryption turned on? :rolleyes:

Timberhauler

Timberhauler

Addicted to ArboristSite
The last two numbers in Husky's model #'s tell you the cc's or very close...

372...71 cc
385....85cc
395....very close to 95cc
I'm not sure how Stihl does it,but their model number does not reveal cc's.

Mtnman4ever

Mtnman4ever

ArboristSite Operative
Well they must have known what they were doing since it is the most recognized saw on the market but since you are not a marketing expert I could see where it would make no sense to you.:rock:

It is ? I have been aroundsaws for alongtime I would not recognize it frombunch of simialr Stihls they make so many saws that are both close in performance and proce . the 290 yeahi suppoose a few hear know of it but ifiwas to ask the avrage guy lookng ora ssaw they would not know it from any other saw like it .

I never did get the near cult like followong Stihl has zI have used em liked some som I do not .

but are they the be all and end all o fchain sasw NO ofcourse not niether is Husky or any othe company . .
Stihlsare goodhuslkywar god Jonsrds glorified huskies are f good i can't speaK for Dolmar cantfind a dealer ,.
I do notoce Stihl guyws really get fired up now why is that . it is justa chainsaw

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
When it comes to the parts numbering though stihl has the rest tied up, spanked and put away.

You like that system do ya, yes that system of part numbers is about as good as it gets. It took me awhile to realize it can't be this easy when in fact it was, its a awesome system they figured out for everyone.

chowdozer

chowdozer

Addicted to ArboristSite
UM ifyou had the injury idid you would be lucky to type . back off

Hey, lots of people can't spell. That's why spell checking software has a market. If you knew that some of your ideas aren't coming across, would you use a spell checker? Some of your ideas aren't coming across. I got no bones with you but take some advice. :)

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
UM ifyou had the injury idid you would be lucky to type . back off

Mountain Man you say you had a injury that messes up your typing, ok, thats cool. What kinda accident did ya have? I remember you getting after me for not wearing PPE in the lil vids but now I understand why. So what happened ole feller, what type of accident did you have???

Just Mow

Just Mow

Don't touch my Willie !!!
It is ? I have been aroundsaws for alongtime I would not recognize it frombunch of simialr Stihls they make so many saws that are both close in performance and proce . the 290 yeahi suppoose a few hear know of it but ifiwas to ask the avrage guy lookng ora ssaw they would not know it from any other saw like it .

I never did get the near cult like followong Stihl has zI have used em liked some som I do not .

but are they the be all and end all o fchain sasw NO ofcourse not niether is Husky or any othe company . .
Stihlsare goodhuslkywar god Jonsrds glorified huskies are f good i can't speaK for Dolmar cantfind a dealer ,.
I do notoce Stihl guyws really get fired up now why is that . it is justa chainsaw

Youre allright. A little har to read but thats okay because I dont have to read it if I dont want too.;)

58hydraglide

58hydraglide

ArboristSite Operative

the first number in huskys designation are the generation # 2 digit first generation 100 series second generation etc. all the way up to the 500 series (Different generations = engine design changes carburetion changes emission compliances etc.) Similar to anyone familiar with harley davidson knuckle head, panhead, shovelhead, evolution (or blockhead ) etc. hmmm.... speaking of, how about a husky "logger head"? chrome factory mod muffler ,apehanger full wrap handle, stretched chrome 72"bar and alittle bitty b1$th pad to take the little hotties for spin... er cut! Might have to send this off to husky corporate. Oh and Mtnman screw the other $obs about your typing remember what comes around goes around. another quote of the day
Mike

58hydraglide

58hydraglide

ArboristSite Operative
Hey, lots of people can't spell. That's why spell checking software has a market. If you knew that some of your ideas aren't coming across, would you use a spell checker? Some of your ideas aren't coming across. I got no bones with you but take some advice. :)

Simple solution , don't read his posts. no ones holdin a gun to your head.
Another quote of the day "think before you post"
Mike

OLY-JIM

OLY-JIM

ArboristSite Guru
Hhhmmmm?

Originally Posted by Mtnman4ever

Ummm, you got your encryption turned on? :rolleyes:

It's not encrypted...didn't ya read his post...his hand is all claw'd-up and he can't type!:

Last edited: