How do I make a ripping chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chain

Woodshop I agree. I do see a difference with ripping chain, but faced with the choice of filing in the woods or throwing on a known sharp "regular" chain, I'll put the sharp one on every time. I guess that means I need a few more sharp ripping chains in my box.

hautions11 said:
Woodshop I agree. I do see a difference with ripping chain, but faced with the choice of filing in the woods or throwing on a known sharp "regular" chain, I'll put the sharp one on every time. I guess that means I need a few more sharp ripping chains in my box.

yup, as stated before, I hate burning daylight in the woods filing 119 links, want to keep milling. Thats why I carry 3 sharpened ripping chains, one on the saw and two in the box, and if all else fails, I can always throw on the standard square chisel skip tooth I also carry for felling and bucking big trees. In a pinch I can finish milling with that. Sure, on a long day when I'm milling several large logs, even that isn't enough, and I have to just stop and sharpen. Milling with a dull chain is hard on the saw as well as frustrating for the guy (or girl?) trying to coax it down the log.

Back