How do I measure diameter of tree with large cavity?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron in sc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I would like to get opinions on how to measure the diameter of a Live Oak with a cavity eliminating approxomately 30% of the trunk's mass. I know it is to be measured at DBH.

Cambial growth is continuing to engulf the wound. There is petrified decay from the base continuing up to 15' The tree has deadwood throughout its limited canopy. Within the truck's cavity there are signs of a previous fire.

I should also mention the trunk is not round like most trees.

Please see photos below.

Last edited:
Then measure it that way.

I don't know how to go about measuring it. Do I just put a tape around it which will include the hollow part? Or is there some other way to measure it to take into consideration the hollow part?

What is the purpose?
I would like to know diameter to help me determine the setback.

Dead tissue counts; hollow does not.

Setback for...?

That tree does not look very strong does it?

Dead tissue counts; hollow does not.

Setback for...?

That tree does not look very strong does it?

Hmmm, um, so does that mean you subtract the width of the hollow part in your measurements?

IMO the diameter is the diameter, solid, hollow, rotten, what-ever. Are we having a prob with semantics here? Just being stupid and wondering, like, um, take your tape measure out and extend your arms length-wise then read the numbers...... simple? No?

:cheers:

Setback for...?

The setback is the minimum distance by which a building must be separated from the base of a tree. I would like to determine the setback required between the tree and a garage I plan to build. To do this I would like to detemine diameter. Ordinance does not provide information of a specific nature to instruct me how to measure the diameter of the tree I've described.

The tree is healthier than you would think by looking at the photos. I want to take the necessary steps to assure that it will not be damaged during construction. It suffered no damage when we had winds with gusts to 50 mphs serveral days ago. Over the years it has survived tropical storms and hurricanes. It survive hurricicane Hugo in 1989. I do have to admit it doesn't seem to have grown a whole lot in 23 years and it does have a limited canopy.

The tree is on my neighbors property, right on the boundry. He is not willing to pay to have it trimmed. He said I could have it trimmed so long as I pay. I have agreed to that.

Are we having a prob with semantics here?

I don't think so.

Last edited:
The minium set back for the building will probably still cause damage to the tree root system. From the pictures the tree does not look to be in the greatest condition. Fire damage, dead wood in the canopy and limited crown all point to a tree in trouble. Now add in building a garage close by and inflicting root damage will make a bad situation worse. Suggest getting a qualified arborist on site to examine tree and garage plan to determine if tree will become more of a hazard than it is now. No sense building next to a potential hazard. Just curious what is the minimum setback?

Last edited:
Just curious what is the minimum setback?

Setback depends on diameter of tree. For this tree it will probably be minimum of 12'. Garage will be 19' from base and less than 25% of root system would be impacted.

I have measured literally thousands upon thousands or tree DBH's. I used to timbercruise for many different large scale lumber companies. One thing was always the same, measure from breast height above the ground on any tree that didn't fork. Whenver you encountered an abnormlity, you go above... Whenver you encounter rot or decaty you measure at breast height or 1.3 meters. The purpose of this is to determine board foot volume of the tree as close as possible, not to determine the root growth. What I'm trying to say is the city ordinance you are following is only trying to establish the best means of determing root growth as they possibly can for a host of differing trees sooo...folow their instructiongs to the letter and nothing else. Measure from breast height like it's stated and don't worry about anything else, it won't matter in the long run because those who are enforcing such laws allready have no idea whay they are tallking about.

Back