How do I propogate a red maple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have about eight red maples that I planted three years ago. Most of them have branches shooting off from low on the stem that I would like to trim and root to lengthen the row.

How can I get these shoots to root and then plant them?

I have about eight red maples that I planted three years ago. Most of them have branches shooting off from low on the stem that I would like to trim and root to lengthen the row.

How can I get these shoots to root and then plant them?

There are a few different devices that you can use. I am not sure what it is called but there is a cup like device that wraps around the branch and promotes root growth.

You could always buy rooting hormone and go the simple route. Just cut the branch below the meristems, dip in hormone powder and then place the cutting in a pot of sand. Make sure you keep the sand moist.

Thanks, I've seen the cup thingys at Lee Valley but do like the simple approach (KISS theory).

Any idea if the rooting hormone method have a good success rate on this species? I've heard differing opinions on propagating maples.

Thanks, I've seen the cup thingys at Lee Valley but do like the simple approach (KISS theory).

Any idea if the rooting hormone method have a good success rate on this species? I've heard differing opinions on propagating maples.

Not too familiar with the maple species, but it is generally more difficult with woody plants. I would try for a quite a few cuttings and plan on a 50% success rate. You will get better results using sand, it allows the roots to penetrate and grow easier. Also when you go to transplant, the roots come out of the sand much easier with minimal damage.

Back