How do I remove spur sprocket from Homelite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albngore

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Homelite XL-123: I have never removed this sprocket and from reading at this site I'm thinking I need to replace it. I have read the Homelite manual and see the direction to turn the "cover", but how do I keep the shaft from turning? I have not attempted this yet, but I figured a little advice in advance would help me. Thanks.

Put some rope down the sparkplug hole. It dosent really matter how much. I just use about a 12 inch length of paracord(abot the diamater of a shoestring) and stick abot 5 inches in the hole. Turn the cluth untill it jams and break it loose. Rember the clutch is threaded on in reverse. So just pretend you are tightning it and it will loosen it.

3 holes in clutch face--Special tool for pros?

Thanks for that advice. Is there a special 3-stud tool that is normally used to remove the clutch? I'm guessing I could make something that would work once I have the shaft clamped.

There is a spanner wrench part# 23934 that is used on sxl, xl-12, your saw and others. Probably need to make one as finding one could be tough. I use the rope trick as a piston stop to keep the crank from turning. Wouldn't mess with the flywheel - too easy to damage it.

albngore said:
Thanks for that advice. Is there a special 3-stud tool that is normally used to remove the clutch? I'm guessing I could make something that would work once I have the shaft clamped.
Use a 6-point socket and weld on grade 8 bolts with the heads cut off. Use the 6-point socket to index on every other flat giving you 120 degrees between the bolts.
I would stick weld it with 3/32" UniChrome rod at about 75 amps DC pos. It has excellent tensile strength, high deposit and medium penetration.

Thanks Ray!
Never thought of that.

Not afraid of cant-levering the piston skirt into the cylinder wall or filling the cylinder with lint, breaking a needle bearing, unseating a seal or some other crazy thing?

30 year old saws, man.

I think clean rope is better than a having small diameter metal piston stop breaking through your piston which I have heard has happened. Or breaking a flywheel fin, because just one will screw you. I just had to buy a new flywheel for my 3120 because it has 1 fin broke off. I just used the rope method on my 30 year old lombard yesterday.

Justin Garrison said:
I think clean rope is better than a having small diameter metal piston stop breaking through your piston which I have heard has happened. Or breaking a flywheel fin, because just one will screw you. I just had to buy a new flywheel for my 3120 because it has 1 fin broke off. I just used the rope method on my 30 year old lombard yesterday.
Rope method is excellent. Don't snag it in a port though.

Latest posts

Back