how do i test my hawkin outdoor wood boiler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keving

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i purchased a Hawkin outdoor wood boiler used.before I remove/demo an area for it I would like to test it for any leaks.can someone direct me to the best way to do this.i have removed the back cover and have put air to the large line labeled "return".I have all other lines closed or caped and it will NOT build pressure

It can take a little time to build pressure. Do not put more than a couple of pounds of air in it as it is not designed for that kind of abuse. I would try capping every thing and filling with water. They look to be vented to atmosphere. If they are anything like the Central Boilers there are standard 3/4" pipe fittings on the side, put in the correct plugs and fill at the top.

i purchased a Hawkin outdoor wood boiler used.before I remove/demo an area for it I would like to test it for any leaks.can someone direct me to the best way to do this.i have removed the back cover and have put air to the large line labeled "return".I have all other lines closed or caped and it will NOT build pressure

Unless you have some way of sealing the top vent it never will build pressure. As already stated I don't think it is a very good idea to try to pressurize it anyway. Just plug the supply and return lines there should also be a drain pipe on the bottom near the back that will also have to be closed then fill it up with water.

Unless you have some way of sealing the top vent it never will build pressure. As already stated I don't think it is a very good idea to try to pressurize it anyway. Just plug the supply and return lines there should also be a drain pipe on the bottom near the back that will also have to be closed then fill it up with water.
:ices_rofl:

This

If you do pressure test it, fill the system first and go no more than 2 to 4 PSI with the vent capped.

How many feet and what size tubing total in the system?

Which port do I supply the water too?will it flow through the pump if it's not turning?its suppose to be the largest stove made by Hawkins,any ideal how many gallons it would take to fill TIA

Which port do I supply the water too?will it flow through the pump if it's not turning?its suppose to be the largest stove made by Hawkins,any ideal how many gallons it would take to fill TIA

Fill it through the top vent. They changed through the years but around 350 gallons depending on the model. What is the manufacture date?

If it is the HE 2100 it will hold almost 400 gallons. There should be a fill spout on top that you can use to fill it to check for leaks. If you do install it I would recommend the "in home" fill kit which allows you to fill it from your mechanical room.

Back