How do you Answer "Can I borrow your Chainsaw?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to make the little joke, '' Ya goin to bring it back in one piece? '', but no you cant borrow it, but ill come by and cut whatever ya want

I'm with you. There are at least 5 people who come in the shop a year saying "my friend borrowed this and it won't run any more." :frown:
Most the the time they are straight gassed. :msp_mad:

Want a tree down. Let me come and cut it and you do the bull work.

I meant to search for this thread not too long ago after having loaned a saw out, and life got ahead of me (as one might imagine with the birth of a child and all...) I have loaned a saw exactly 3 times without being present. Here goes:

Story #1
Good friend was clearing some smaller stuff in the back of his lot. He lives in a subdivision. Asked if he could borrow a saw. I had just completed a "good" Mexi-mac with a muffler mod, shiny new semi-chisel green chain, and nice rich carb settings. That one was destined to be the loaner for just this occasion. After some basic instruction, off he goes with the saw. He called me the next day and asked me what the story on it was. I'm thinking that he has fried the thing already. As it turns out, he was cutting with the neighbor, and the little turd was running rings around the Wildthing his neighbor had. He insisted on "buying" that stupid saw, for which I have refused payment thus far. Hopefully he has forgotten. Either way, that one did not come back but it was for good reason. It is still getting an occasional workout though, as I sometimes get the chain in for a touch-up.

Story #2
Co-Worker asks to borrow a saw. Very technical guy, and a good friend to boot. He asked about an electric, as his subdivision is kind of funny about noise. Since my loaner got "bought" in Story #1, and I have no electrics, I offered up my 023L. That was a bit if a stretch given the rarity of the 023L. Either way, it is only a saw. I would rather have a handful of good friends and no saws than a handful of good saws and no friends. I specifically asked him not to have the chain sharpened and explained that most folks take too much off when they sharpen them. That saw came back cleaner than it left (I use it frequently) and with a new chain installed. Old one was in the box for the new, and not in bad shape at all. To boot, he brought a bunch of candy for my girls and we got to hang out for a while telling fish stories and the like.

Story #3
I got asked by one of my tree customers for a loaner. He was forced to leave a saw here, and needed one to get him through. Usually I don't do it. This guy I would consider a friend so I went ahead and set him up with my 036 PRO. That saw is not overly pretty, except for the pile of NOS parts I put into it, but it seems to run strong. I have maybe 5 minutes run time on it. Here is where the story gets interesting:

He brought it back a couple of days later, and it looked exactly like it did when I sent it off. OK, the chain was actually in better shape when he returned it. Now it seems to run even stronger than it did when he borrowed it, since he put some run time on it.

THE MORAL:
Of the 3 saws I have loaned out, all three are still running fine. Shockingly, the only one that did not come back was the MAC 3200 !?!?!? In my experience it is perfectly fine to say NO to loaning a saw. I have had to do it plenty of times. On the other hand, it is also OK to loan one out occasionally. Just be careful about who they get loaned to, and you are not likely to have an issue. Nobody is getting to borrow my Lightning, anything with a bow bar, or anything without a brake. With that said, they all are just saws. If you cannot share, what is the point of CAD or having 1xx saws (maybe 2xx?, Who knows.)

saws, truck come with operator... good friend of 34 yrs wants to "borrow" my 038 to buck some firewood, had logged in his young days, so knows some about saws. after agreeing that i'll do the cutting, I go over, understanding he's got gas & oil. turned out the gas was black in plastic coke bottle - mixed w/ used motor oil. chain lube was more used oil... used what was in the saw, & that was that - short day... sold him my first saw - husky 35 - still running after 25+yrs. im kinda wondering how, now... glad I went with the saw... if someones gonna f it up, it'll be me...

Everyone I one I know that needs a saw already has one but If they did not I would happily loan it with the strict understanding they use the fuel and oil I provide and nothing else.

I'm with Ferguson. I only loan saws to close friends, and with the strict understanding that they use my fuel and oil, and make ZERO adjustments to the saw. They can give me cash for fuel if they want.

I've kinda changed my mind on this

I did a bunch of work to a few saw's and loan them out to get them more work then I can give them to see how long the last

MS 250 - has all aftermarket parts

026 - the last one I put together

HUSKYQUAKE - Just to see how long and Earthquake chain saw will last

I offer free cutting services to close neighbours in order to
make them happy with all the noise I make with my chain-
saws - distrurbances with getting rid of "tree-fellin-left-ov-
ers" by means of fires etc ... .

Edit: The community I live in consists of big forest lots and
people are offered free access to chainsaws and trimmers (is
that what they are called in English?) through community -
but this doesn't help them much ... :) .

Last edited:
Once I get the homelite 750 back together and running, I'll tell them it's the only saw I loan out. If they can swing it, I'll video for amusement. :D

Better yet, have one of the 2 man saws as a loaner.....:laugh:

Once I get the homelite 750 back together and running, I'll tell them it's the only saw I loan out. If they can swing it, I'll video for amusement. :D

Given the rarity of basically all 750 parts, I'd be hard pressed to let anyone even touch that saw. Give 'em a MAC 610. Everyone thinks that is a big saw, and it weighs about as much as one.

Given the rarity of basically all 750 parts, I'd be hard pressed to let anyone even touch that saw. Give 'em a MAC 610. Everyone thinks that is a big saw, and it weighs about as much as one.

You're right Tim. A rube has NO business even touching a 750 Homelite. A PM610 is a good loaner saw. Same with the mexi-mac types you mentioned earlier.

If you REALLY want a big/heavy/intimidating saw to point to when someone asks to 'borrow' (with the goal of having them change their mind)......................then get some big ugly old Mono, David Bradley, McCulloch 15, or other 'low value' clunker. You can get them for $20 or less from CL sellers (or members here), NOBODY's gonna want to borrow it...................and if they do borrow the saw and #### it up you won't feel bad. Only fly in this ointment is that a boob could really hurt themself with one of those old beasts...........IF they can get it started.

Last edited:
You're right Tim. A rube has NO business even touching a 750 Homelite. A PM610 is a good loaner saw. Same with the mexi-mac types you mentioned earlier.

If you REALLY want a big/heavy/intimidating saw to point to when someone asks to 'borrow' (with the goal of having them change their mind)......................then get some big ugly old Mono, David Bradley, McCulloch 15, or other 'low value' clunker. You can get them for $20 or less from CL sellers (or members here), NOBODY's gonna want to borrow it...................and if they do borrow the saw and #### it up you won't feel bad. Only fly in this ointment is that a boob could really hurt themself with one of those old beasts...........IF they can get it started.

Around here, nobody wants to swing much more than about 15 pounds total. I seriously, seriously doubt anyone will ever take me up on it, and if they do, I'm going along for the ride.

I passed on a McCulloch 15 and a Poulan 71A a while back. I could have had both for less than $50, IIRC. I didn't want to mess with either, though in retrospect, I might should have bought the poulan.

Sure, I'll lend you the saw with a cash deposit of the full price of a new one plus the price of a new bar and chain which are not refundable even if the saw comes back undamaged. Oh, and by the way, sign this disclaimer that you are responsible for any damage or injury incurred while using the saw.

Borrow my wife? You can't afford her!

Me and Pops use each others saws. He gave me so many i wouldn't ever say no. If a friend asks i have to know they can use a saw and think safe. I always have a 55 or old Echo around i dont care about just incase.

Story #1
Good friend was clearing some smaller stuff in the back of his lot. He lives in a subdivision. Asked if he could borrow a saw. I had just completed a "good" Mexi-mac with a muffler mod, shiny new semi-chisel green chain, and nice rich carb settings. That one was destined to be the loaner for just this occasion. After some basic instruction, off he goes with the saw. He called me the next day and asked me what the story on it was. I'm thinking that he has fried the thing already. As it turns out, he was cutting with the neighbor, and the little turd was running rings around the Wildthing his neighbor had. He insisted on "buying" that stupid saw, for which I have refused payment thus far. Hopefully he has forgotten. Either way, that one did not come back but it was for good reason. It is still getting an occasional workout though, as I sometimes get the chain in for a touch-up.

You wouldn't happen to have a Solo Twin I can borrow would you? :hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry guys, my loaner KMS 4 and Solo Twin are both on loan to Asplundh right now. I think they are letting the high school dropouts run them for stumping duty.

Sure. They rent for $50.00 a day with a 10% Damage Waiver and 6% Fl sales tax. Will that be cash, check, Mastercard, Visa or Discover? It's due back same time tomorrow for the one day rate. Any more questions?

Back