How do you deal with all the Splitter Scraps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
enterprising, $35 for 1.5 cf, $8 for the .3 cf, and according to web sight there is a smaller bag at $5 ea. $1-1.5 for the printed bag is my guesstimate depending on qty bought. Gives you a real reason for 6 way box wedge, eh?

We bonfire it and shovel some into the shop stove. Make probably 2-3 yards a week.

If these guys can export from NH to MN, maybe he can export to yuppies in CA?

Philbert
You joke, but that is a scary percentage of the population near me. Just a couple hours ago I got off the phone with one couple who could not start a fire for the life of them. I sold them dry red maple (18% moisture) split to 2x2 or 2x3 size splits. Called me up FURIOUS that there was moisture coming out of the logs. I explained how I did my QC (moisture meter, 5 to 8 splits per load) and told them how I start a fire along with the state of CTs definition of dry and local industry standards (20-22% is dry enough to call seasoned based on some of the bigger firewood guys locally). Followed my instructions and all of the sudden the fire is roaring.

I use some for compost/mulch. Anything smaller than your palm usually lays where it falls, eventually getting ran over with the mower or bush hog. The soil is so poor around here I just consider the wood mulch an improvement. Anything bigger like chunks of bark get thrown in the stove, it all makes heat;)

As we split it gets segregated. Worthy pieces end up as kindling, the rest goes to the fire pit. Fire pits make heat too and beckon the wife and I to partake in a beverage (or seven) and solve all earthly problems.

Back