how do you get wood into your basement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remove the bulk head from the house and dump the wood out of the tractor bucket into the hole. 3-4 bucket loads and then I head in and stack that. Repeat until done. I have about 6cords in the basement this year. I have the dehumidifier running full time sucking up the remaining water that is coming out.

Luckily my Wood shed is about 20' away from the basement window which just happens to be 5' from my stove. I built a 4'x'4'x18" wooden box that holds a couple days worth of wood. when I need wood I'll pile it outside the window and just throw it down into the box. If I had to do it again I'd build something to protect the window, mines in pretty rough shape from the years of having wood thrown in.

Still carrying down the stairs here. I had a chute for a while, but didn't like the mess it made. I might rethink that theory as I get older, or dig a walkout and be done with it. It's not an ideal spot for a walkout, but it is workable.

Carrying the wood in an armload at a time does help keep me in shape a little bit, and that's worth something I guess. What's one of those fancy stairclimber machines go for anyway?

find a old tread mill.. set it up on high speed.. drop your wood on it.. as your pile gets larger slow down the speed then your pile will move towards the window. :msp_sneaky:

My wood stove is on the main floor.. i pack wood in three times a week.. I lost count of the trips per load day.. I would like a better set up but we are supposed to be moving this summer..

Garden tractor and 17 cu ft yard trailer to haul from the wood stack.

Basement window with home made shoot. I have to remove the window (easily done, slides off tracks).

Takes a few trips, but I only have to do it once a month and I can pull up close to the wood and shoot.

I used to use a pick-up. What a pain in the arse trying to get it backed up to the stack and shoot every load!

I think I've got the most ideal setup!

I have a walk out basement. In which the NE corner of my house has a deck on the upper level. Directly below the deck is cement pad. Off the cement pad is a door going into my basement. Directly behind that door is my furnace!

So the covered deck is great for keeping rain and snow off of my wood. I back up a 5x8 trailer full of wood on the cement pad about 2' from my basement door. Open door and there's the wood. Children bring all my wood in and stack it on a rack in front of furnace. Alls I do is open furnace and chuck wood in. EASY! :msp_biggrin::wink2:

When I was younger we would put a plank on the basement stairs and wheelbarrow loads down the stairs. Gets going fast and you must keep up with the wheelbarrow. Never did fall or spill a load. Then we only had 15 ft to stop once down the stairs. Better than a few pieces at a time.

We have it pretty good as well. Basement garage. Back the pickup in the garage, and stack about a cord in the end of the garage. The rest (about 3 cords) has to go into the main room of the basement where the wood furnace is located. No more room to store more.

I find it easiest and quickest to unload the truck into a wheelbarrow and then wheel it the rest of the way when stacking in the main room of the basement. Better than doing it an armload at a time.

Interesting note; If we have to use some moderately green wood, and the furnace is already going, we find that the green wood dries extremely fast in the warm and dry environment. After a day in the warm basement, you can actually hear the ends of the pieces of wood cracking. They are ready to go in seemingly no time at all.

Bob

attachment.php

attachment.php

Might be more than you're willing to spend though...

I use a large Army duffel bag. This is the big bag used to carry all your gear. They have a handle and two shoulder straps. I just fill the bag to the max,which can get pretty heavy, sling one strap over a shoulder and carry it down the stairs. I used to carry it down by the armload but this way is much faster and carries much more wood per trip.

Last edited:
Wood is dumped into pile off my conveyor after being split on the speeco or my vertical homemade splitter. US Stove 1400 in the basement. Wood room is 12'x24' and 15' from furnace. Have 2 framed openings into the basement concrete wall, one on each side of the 24' wall. Use tractor and special narrow loader bucket to shoot wood down a plastic slide into the woodroom. Between bucket loads my wife and daughter stack the wood. Takes a day and a bit to load enough for the year, around 5 full cord. Usually do this late in the summer. Pictures of my setup are on my thread. http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/153256.htm

oh that's easy *sniff*

*sniff* The yard man meets with the vendor at the service entrance, and receives the delivery, along with the invoice. The yard man transfers it to the rear entrance, where it is delivered to the butler. *sniff* Then the butler handles it from there, loads the wood...wherever it goes...and forwards the invoice to the accountant.

--I love this burning of wood, so ecological and quaint..good exercise as well (gets up from easy chair, goes pokes at log in fireplace, sits back down)

*sniff*

I have a 17 yr old son and a wheelbarrow. The wood shed is about 15' away from the basement door. He loads the one wheeled truck,pushes it to the basement door and hands it down the 3 steps to me and I take 5 steps around the corner to the indoor woodrack.
Larry S.

After reading this thread I guess I have if pretty easy. PE stove in basement. Two feet from stove is basement door which opens to a two car, car port. No steps, just a gravel driveway right outside. One covered car port for wood (5 chords) about 20 feet from stove, the other carport for the car. I usually fill up a little canvas wood carrier I have 3 times to fill my inside wood box (5 min loading and last usually 24-36 hrs.) Other times I use my kids radio flyer wagon and just wheel it in through the door and dump into the wood box.

We have a secondary set of basement stairs in the garage and behind the door is the utility (unfiniished) side of the basement. I keep the wood outside and load the wheelbarrow and dump down the steps, as needed. Wood planks on the steps, helps the wood slide sown. I'll usually dump 3-4 loads at a time and 2-3 times per week.

I could store inside ... but get concerned about carpenter ants.

Way too many nasty critters crawling out of firewood to ever put it my house. I am one of the lucky ones to have a walk-out lower level ... I'd have a OWB before I'd pack wood up or down steps or tie up my basement space.

I use to stack a few cords in the basement at a time but then we started to get bugs and lots of spiders, the wife said no more. Now I use the rubber made storage bins aswell and carry it down to the basement. I fill up the kids wagon with enough wood to last a few loads and put it in the garage. The problem I have now is when the wife get the wood she drops it into the bin and busts the plastic on the bottom up. I have gone through two bins this year already.

Latest posts

Back