How do you get your saws to the wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shagbark

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What have you found as the best way to get your gear to a remote location to skid firewood logs to a more accessible location? I use a small Kubota to skid to a landing, but don't have a loader or enough hands for the saws, axes, water, chains, fuel mix, bar oil, etc. The Kubota is identical to this:
image.jpeg

images
like this maybe....

All depends on what I'm going to be doing in the woods that day...

If I'm going a ways away and not by myself, I carry all kinds of things, from water, chains, tree jack and other heavy stuff, so I just load a box and put in on the pallet forks,

standard.jpg

But, most times, when going to my own woods, I load everything I need in my S&S and just use it... I then can go back the next day with a tractor/wagon, to get the logs I have cut out, or firewood that's cut...

Another good way is, just pull a wagon with everything you need on it, to your landing... I pull a big wagon, because I want to pull a big load home.,

standard.jpg

If you have a small tractor, just pull a smaller wagon or trailer and load in it, what ever you feel you need for the day...

SR

Unless I am cutting in my small woodlot (about 2 acres) or scrounging dead/downed trees from roadsides I will be skidding by ATV. I strap on whatever I need onto the ATV. If I am making a trip to a deer stand I will try to find a scrounge tree to drag home with me.

All depends on what I'm going to be doing in the woods that day...

If I'm going a ways away and not by myself, I carry all kinds of things, from water, chains, tree jack and other heavy stuff, so I just load a box and put in on the pallet forks,

standard.jpg

But, most times, when going to my own woods, I load everything I need in my S&S and just use it... I then can go back the next day with a tractor/wagon, to get the logs I have cut out, or firewood that's cut...

Another good way is, just pull a wagon with everything you need on it, to your landing... I pull a big wagon, because I want to pull a big load home.,

standard.jpg

If you have a small tractor, just pull a smaller wagon or trailer and load in it, what ever you feel you need for the day...

SR

I think Sawyer Rob has [way] too many toys!!! ;) lol ! that top pix is what I call a swell logging set up. nice!! :numberone:

for some years now, I only have to drive about in my immediate neighborhood to get more than all the oak wood I want. some jobs that go to the curb are just too complex and 'stix' like stacked to get in and get the 'gold' out... the latest two jobs I posted up in scrounging firewood were just short of 'gimmies'... albeit the last one I did have to climb up and into the pile to cull out some of what I wanted. I just put my saw on my tow tug's tow trailer... (pie kart) fueled and oiled and bungy'd down. cut it up, take it home or leave with neighbor and haul in the wood. but I am done scrounging for now, I have a rather big job of cutt'n n splitting ahead of me. sometimes I think it is too cool to go out and work the wood... but then I see so many here working wood in the snow... and I kinda feel ashamed!! lol :oops:

tow tug and pie kart !

primemover.JPG

pie kart

piekart.JPG

good pix, nice rig set up.... enjoyed seeing! do you also carry a weapon when out in those woods? just wondering...
If I am doing work, no. I figure if something large and hairy can get to me when I am yielding an axe and a saw riding an ATV that will go close to 60MPH, then it has earned the right to eat me LOL.

This year there weren't supposed to be any grouse so I didn't buy a small game license. Otherwise I would have a shotgun with. After I had several days of seeing 3-5 birds a day I started to regret that decision. :dumb:

You guys have some great ideas. I have to trailer my Kubota to the site (local timber cut), and skid the tops to a landing I can get the dump trailer to. The landing is couple of hundred yards from the falling locations on an adjacent property owned by family.

I use this to get around in the woods with water, saw, fuel, oil, wedges and axe. I have it in either trailer (dump or 16 foot HE trailer.

uploadfromtaptalk1454017512136.jpg

This pulls the trailer once on site.

uploadfromtaptalk1454018396141.jpg

Both the tractor and quad fit on both trailers. Works well.

When I'm taking out our ash, I'll pull out the trunks to a clearing with the 800, once these are bucked we'll load the in to the trailer and pull them out to the open with the 500 and or the 800. When we get home, I'll pull the trailer next to where they will be stack for the following year and split the logs. We haul the saws, axes, gas,oil, kant hook straps, etc in the trailers. These were pulled out to make room for a food plot.

Img_0486.jpg

Like a few of the other members, I'll take out a few logs while leaving my deer stands.

Img_0485.jpg

Img_0501.jpg

When we get the snow, I'll put the plow on the 800 so I can go down our trails.. Seems to work for us..

View attachment 481997 I put my saws, oil, gas and other tools in my trailer. Load up the trailer when I am done cutting.

I like the set up! I think it would be fun to start a thread that invited all those using yard tractors and carts, wagons, well... that size to show their setups. even diesel tractors if not over 18 hp. I am thinking of a third cart! like a train... :) or maybe rig up a tool bin in front. I really don't like leaving my tools behind, hidden or with neighbor... and I usually load the pie kart to overflowing and then... have to carry the saw in my lap... not the easiest to do even if only about 1/8th to 1/4 mile... since I live on a circle of two streets... I wouldn't have to drive the /2 mile, just take one side of 'the wood lot' or the other...

file: I think it would be fun to start a thread that invited all those using yard tractors and carts, wagons, well... that size to show their setups. even diesel tractors if not over 18 hp.

Back