How do you heat your barn/shed/shop?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My saw workshop here at the house is only a 12 x 16 shop that I built about 5 years ago, and for that a kerosene heater works great. I use a Kerosun Omni 85. The small radiant 10's are too small, and the 105's and such are too big. The 85 seems just right, but when it's real cold, I'll also light a radiant 10 to help boost it up. I seem to spend a decent amount of time out there, but I only use around 10 gallons of kero a year. Even the smallest woodstove would take up too much room in that size building. Plus it's nice to just tuck the kerosun away in a corner when it's not being used.

I am looking to do a 24 x 32 garage at some point, and I figure that in that application I'll use a woodstove.

An old setup I've seen many times around here is to take a 275 gallon fuel tank and somewhere nearby mount a smaller tank to hold waste oil. Weld a steel line into the 275 that just drips oil from the small tank onto a wood fire controlled by a simple ball valve. Wood consumption isn't to bad if you have plenty of oil. Quite a few farm buildings are heated this way around here.
(a dbl barrel w/oil would work just as well or maybe better than the 275)
ry%3D480

Last edited:
I heat a 15x30 section of my 30x50 shop with my OWB using a forced air heat exchanger and an old squirrel cage blower from a furnace. The money I saved from not having to install propane went toward the purchase of the owb. The insulated section is lined with white sheet steel and spray foam behind. It's nice and bright, cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I don't care for drywall in a shop, it tends to absorb moisture and get mildew, at least around here.
At the time I ran a business out of there so I could justify insulating and heating it. If I wasn't making money out of it I likely wouldn't have went to the expense. It sure is nice to have now.

This was a Goodman gas furnace in it's previous life, stripped it out, kept the blower, mounted a Heil cased HW coil on it, runs on a loop from the OWB...worked quite well this past winter.

Latest posts

Back